Aloo ki sabzi is easy recipe cooked with boiled potatoes (How to boil potatoes), tomatoes and few spices. This recipe is made without onion and garlic. This dish is usually served with puri. Puri Aloo is one of the dishes cooked in every household in India and liked by all.
Preparation Time – 10-15 Mins Cooking Time – 15 Mins
• Potatoes(Aloo) boiled – 3-4 Medium
• Tomatoes chopped – 1 large
• Oil – 1 Tbsp
• Bay leaf (Tej patta) – 1 No.
• Cloves (Laung) – 2 No.
• Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 Tsp
• Ginger grated – 1Tsp
• Turmeric Powder- ½ Tsp
• Red chilli powder – 1Tsp
• Coriander Powder- 1 Tsp
• Garam Masala (All Spice powder) – ½ Tsp
• Water – 1 Cup or as required
• Coriander leaves chopped to garnish
• Peel and cut potatoes (aloo) into small cubes.
• Heat oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cloves and ginger and cook for half a min.
• Add tomatoes and mix. Cover the lid and cook till tomatoes are soften and oil is separated. Keep stirring in between so that it does not stick to the bottom.
• Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well. If required add 1 Tbsp of water to prevent burning of spices.
• Add potatoes and salt and mix well. Cook for 2-3 mins.
• Add water as per required consistency and stir. Cover the lid and cook on a medium flame for about 5-8 mins till potato curry gets a boil.
• Mash few potatoes with the back of spoon to thicken the curry. Cook for another 3-4 mins.
• Add garam masala powder and mix.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Tips and Tricks –
• Cooks best in a heavy bottom or a non-stick pan/kadai.
• Ginger can be used grated or julian as well. Depends on taste.
• Covering the lid makes cooking faster.
• Use homemade or Everest garam masala for better taste.
• Mash potatoes a little to thicken the curry.