Maharashtrian style Bharva Baingan (Brinjal)
In this recipe of Bharva baingan I have used onions, peanuts, kanda lasoon as a part of main ingredients.
This recipe is simple to cook yet tastes delicious. It is healthy recipe.
Preparation Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 25 – 30 Mins
Servings – 3
For Stuffing –
• Onion – 1 Medium Size
• Roasted Peanuts – 50 gms.
• Red chili powder – ½ Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Oil – 1 Tsp
• Baingan (Brinjal) small size – 6 – 7 Nos.
• Turmeric Powder- ¼ Tsp
• Kanda Lasoon masala – 1 Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Oil – 2 Tbsp
• Coriander leaves to garnish (optional)
Stuffing Preparation –
• Peel and wash onion. Roughly chop them.
• In a mixer jar add roughly chopped onions, roasted peanuts, salt and red chili powder.
• Grind to make a paste.
• Add oil and little water as required. Grind again to make puree.
• Stuffing is ready.
(Stuffing)Filling Baingan –
• Wash baingan.
Make 2 slits in baingan vertically (lengthwise) for stuffing.
• Fill the stuffing in slit baingan.
• Keep aside remaining onion peanut masala (stuffing).
• Heat oil in a nonstick pan.
Add onion and peanut (stuffing) masala.
• Mix well. Cook for 3-4 mins without covering.
• Add kanda lasoon masala and turmeric powder.
Mix well and allow to cook till oil starts separating from the gravy.
• Add stuffed baingans to the gravy.
Mix well and allow to cook for 5 mins on a low flame, covering with lid.
• Flip baingans and allow to cook for next 5 mins.
• Add water and salt as required.
• Mix well and allow to cook for 8 – 10 mins on a low flame, covering the lid.
• Stir gently and check if baingans are cooked, using a fork. If fork slides in baingan easily that means they are cooked. If not cook for another 3-4 mins or as required.
• Garnish with coriander.(optional)
• Serve with hot rotis or puris. (Beetroot Paratha Recipe), (Ajwain Paratha Recipe), (Masala Puri Recipe)
Tips and Tricks –
• Cooks best in a heavy bottom or a non-stick pan/kadai.
• Always adjust spices as per your taste. Covering the lid makes cooking faster.
• Peanuts stick easily to the bottom so keep stirring in between and cook on low to medium flame.
• Add water as per desired consistency of the gravy. Also add salt accordingly.
• Adjust spices as per taste.