Bhindi ki Sabzi
This recipe of bhindi ki sabzi is simple to make and requires very minimal and basic ingredients to prepare. Bhindi is one vegetable which is usually liked by all and can be prepared in many different ways. This preparation of bhindi is without onion and garlic, the way it is usually consumed in Jain families.
Preparation Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 20 Mins
• Bhindi- 250 gms
• Salt to taste
• Turmeric powder- ½ Tsp
• Red Chili powder- ½ Tsp
• Dry Mango/Amchoor Powder- ½ Tsp
• Coriander powder- 1 Tsp
• Green chili (slit in between) – 1 No.
• Cumin seeds – ½ Tsp
• Oil – 2 Tbsp
• Wash bhindi properly with water and wipe them dry. Cut bhindi into small pieces, approx. about 1cm each.
• Spread the bhindi into thali and leave for 10-15 mins. This makes the bhindi little dry and reduces slime which makes it easier to cook. (This method is optional if running out of time.)
• Heat oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds, green chili and turmeric powder.
• Add bhindi and stir well so that the turmeric is coated all over the vegetable.
• Add salt and mix well. Allow to cook bhindi for about 3-4 mins. Do not cover the kadai.
• Add red chili powder, coriander powder and amchur powder. Mix well all the spices with the vegetable.
• Cook till bhindi is done. Stir occasionally to prevent bhindi from sticking.
• Garnish with coriander. Serve with hot rotis.
Tips and Tricks –
• Cooks best in a heavy bottom or a non stick pan/kadai.
• Always adjust spices as per your taste.
• Do not cover the lid to make is crispier.
• Instead of amchur (dry mango powder) lemon juice can also be used.
• To reduce the slime from bhindi wash, wipe and cut it beforehand and spread it in a thali.
• Citrus or acidic agents like lime juice, amchoor powder also helps reducing slime from bhindi.