This is the quick way to serve variety rice to guests or at home. This recipe of garlic rice is usually prepared with ghee, you can also use oil instaed of ghee. You can also prepare this recipe using leftover rice which will enhance the flavour of leftover rice.
Preparation Time – No preparation required
Soaking Time – 15 Mins
Cooking Time – 15 – 20 Mins
• Long grain basmati Rice – 1 Cup
• Water – 4 Cups
• Salt to taste
• Ghee – 1 ½ Tbsp
• Jeera (Cumin Seeds) – 2 Tsp
• Bay Leaf – 1
• Cloves (Laung) – 2
• Green Cardamom (Choti Elaichi) – 2
• Garlic finely chopped – 1 ½ Tbsp
• Soak rice in a bowl for 15 minutes.
• Drain and wash rice under running cold water until clear water comes. Keep rice aside in a strainer.
• Boil water in a heavy pot. Add salt.
• Add rice in boiling water. Cook on high flame till water starts boiling again after adding rice. Do not cover the lid.
• Lower the flame once the water is boiled. Simmer undisturbed for about 10 – 15mins. Check if rice has cooked by mashing the rice grain in between two fingers.
• Once cooked strain rice in a strainer till all remaining water is removed completely. Transfer it to a bowl.
• Heat ghee in a pan. Add jeera, bay leaf, green cardamom and cloves (laung) and let it splutter.
• Add garlic and cook till golden brown and crisp.
• Add the tempering to the rice. Mix gently to coat rice well in ghee.
• Serve hot with your favourite curry. (Rajma Masala Recipe), (Chole Masala Recipe), (Vegetable Raita Recipe),(Steamed/Boiled Rice Recipe)
Tips and Tricks –
• Basmati long grain rice cooks best.
• Soaking rice beforehand takes less time to cook and yields longer grains after cooked.
• 1 cup of uncooked rice yields 2 cups of cooked rice.
Facts about Rice –
• Rice is an edible starchy cereal grain
• Rice can be white, yellow, golden, brown, purple, red or black in color.
• Rice symbolizes life and fertility. It is often thrown above the heads of newlyweds after wedding ceremony to ensure happy life filled with children.
• In 2008, a craze was started in Japan for rice-filled bags called ‘Dakigokochi’ for newborn babies. They were shaped like a bundled baby and printed with the newborn’s face and name.
• In India, rice is associated with prosperity and with the Hindu goddess of wealth, Lakshmi.
• A Taiwanese artist has carved a portrait of the new Chinese leader Xi Jinping on a grain of rice.
Origin & Production-
• The known account of rice was in china about 2800BC.
• Rice is the highest worldwide production.
• There are more than 40,000 varieties of rice that grow on every continent except on Antarctica.
• Nearly half the world’s population eats rice as part of their staple diet.
• It takes 1260 litres of water to grow 500g rice.
Nutritional Facts –
• Brown rice is the most nutritional of many different forms. Brown rice retains the bran because it is not milled like white rice that loses a lot of nutrients in the milling process.
• Rice is a complex carbohydrate that does not have sodium or cholesterol and barely any fat.
• Rice is rich source of sugars, proteins and vitamins of the B group.
• Brown rice contains a fair amount of fiber, while white rice is very low in fiber.