Green whole moong dal
Preparation Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 20 Mins
• Green whole moong dal- ½ cup (soaked overnight)
• Tomato – 1 medium size (grated or pureed)
• Oil- 1 Tbsp
• Cumin seeds- ½ Tsp
• Red chili powder – ½ Tsp
• Turmeric powder- ¼ Tsp
• Coriander powder – ½ Tsp
• Lemon juice – ½ Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Coriander leaves to garnish (optional)
• Pressure cook overnight soaked moong daal with ½ cup of water, salt and turmeric. Cook till one whistle is released.
• When the pressure/steam is released completely on its own, open the cooker lid and check if the pulses are cooked. If not add little more water if required and pressure cook for some more time.
• Heat oil in as heavy bottom kadai or a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and tomato puree. Cover the lid and allow to cook.
• Once the tomatoes are done add red chili powder, coriander powder and salt if required. Mix well.
• Add little (1-2 Tbsp) of water so that the spices do not burn.
• Add boiled green whole moong dal. Stir gently.
• Cover and cook for 3-4 mins. Add lime juice and mix.
• Garnish with coriander leaves. (optional)
• Serve hot.
Tips and Tricks –
• Make sure dal is neither overcooked nor under cooked.
• .Cooks faster when soaked overnight.
• If running short of time soak dal for 1-2 hrs in hot water and pressure cook with required water for about 8 to 10 whistles.