Kale Chane ki sabzi
Chana (Gram) is soaked in water for overnight, then boiled to soft and mixed with tomato onion masala. The rich texture of masala makes this dish delicious.
This dish can also be served as a side dish with meal. This dish serves as a wholesome meal.
Soaking Time – Overnight
Preparation Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 30 Mins
• Kale Chane – 1 cup (soaked overnight)
• Onion finely chopped – 1 Medium size
• Tomato finely chopped – 1 Large size
• Oil- 2 Tbsp
• Red chili powder – ½ Tsp
• Turmeric powder- ¼ Tsp
• Coriander powder – ½ Tsp
• Lemon juice – ½ Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Coriander leaves to garnish (optional)
• Pressure cook overnight soaked kale chane with 2 cups of water. Cook till 8-9 whistles.
• When the pressure/steam is released completely by itself, open the cooker lid and check if the pulses are cooked. If not add little more water if required and pressure cook for some more time.
• Separate and discard the remaining water from the kale chane. Keep kale chane aside.
• Heat oil in a heavy bottom kadai or a non-stick pan. Add chopped onion and cook till transparent.
• Add chopped tomato and mix well. Cook till oil starts leaving the sides from onion-tomato masala.
• Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
• Add boiled kale chane. Stir gently.
• Cover and cook for 3-4 mins. Add lime juice and mix.
• Garnish with coriander leaves. (optional)
• Serve hot with roti, puri or as a side dish. (Ajwain Paratha Recipe), (Beetroot Puri Recipe)
Tips and Tricks –
• Cooks faster when soaked overnight.
• Do not cover the lid while cooking onion and tomato.
• In case you forgot to soak overnight, soak in hot water for about 2 hrs and pressure cook for more time.