Preparation Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 20 – 25 MinsIngredients –
• Karela (Bitter gourd) – 4 medium size
• Onion – 1 medium size
• Sesame seeds- 1 Tsp
• Cumin Seeds – 1 Tsp
• Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
• Turmeric Powder- 1 Tsp
• Amchur(Dry mango powder) Powder – 1 Tsp
• Coriander Powder- 1 Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Jaggery(gur)/Sugar – 1 -2 Tsp(as per taste)
• Oil – 2 Tbsp
• Coriander leaves(optional)
• Wash and peel karela.
• Cut them into round pieces.
• Add salt and keep it aside for half an hour. This will help to reduce bitterness of karela.
• Squeeze out the water content as much as possible after half an hour.
• Peel and slice onion.
• Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds and sesame seeds.
• Add sliced karela, salt and turmeric powder. Allow to cook for about 2-3 mins.
• Add sliced onions.
• Mix well together both the vegetables.
• Cook for about 5 – 7 mins. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, amchur(dry mango) powder and jaggery/sugar. Mix all the spices well with the vegetable.
• Cover and cook on low flame till tender.
• Keep stirring in between and make sure vegetable do not stick to the pan.
• Garnish with coriander.(optional)
• Serve with hot rotis. (Ajwain Paratha Recipe)
Tips and Tricks –
• Cooks best in a heavy bottom or a non stick pan/kadai.
• Always adjust spices as per your taste. Keep in check the quantity of jaggery/sugar and red chilli powder while adding, as per your taste.
• Covering the lid makes cooking faster.
• Instead of amchur(dry mango powder) grated raw mango or tamarind pulp can also be used.
• Tastes better with jaggery than sugar. Also jaggery is healthier option.