Matar Poha is a healthy recipe that can be prepared very quickly and easily. Different vegetables like onion, potatoes or peas are added as per the region and taste. Some people also like to add roasted peanut to add little crunch and taste.Known wit the name flattened rice, poha is now available cross the globe. There could be various dishes that can be prepared using poha.
This is my version of matar poha or choora matar which is usually served as a breakfast.It is available for breakfast on streets or eatery junctions across the world.In Madhya Pradesh(India) people have it with jalebi (Indian sweet). Kanda poha and batata poha are famous in Maharashtra having kanda (onion) or batata (potato) respectively.
Preparation Time – 5-10 Mins
Cooking Time – 10 – 15 Mins
Serving – 3
• Thick Poha (Flattened Rice) – 1 cup
• Oil – 1 – 2 Tbsp
• Green chili finely chopped – 1 No.
• Cumin (Jeera) seeds – 1/2 Tsp
• Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
• Fennel seeds (saunf) – 1 Tsp
• Turmeric powder – ½ Tsp
• Asafoetida – ¼ Tsp (optional)
• Onion sliced – 1 Medium size
• Peeled Peas – 3 – 4 Tbsp
• Sugar – 1 Tbsp
• Lime Juice – 1 Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Coriander finely chopped to garnish (Optional)
• Take poha in a colander or strainer. Wash under running water till water comes clear. Make sure it does not become mushy, it should become just soft. Also it should not be broken while washing. If poha is thick enough to become soft while washing. Sprinkle some water over it and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, fennel seeds and finely chopped green chili. Mix & cook for half a minute. Add peas.
• Add sliced onion and cook till translucent. Add turmeric, salt (just for the vegetables) and mix well.
• Add salt and sugar to poha and mix well. (Remember we have added salt in vegetables as well, so take quantity as required)
• Add poha and crushed peanuts (peanuts optional). Mix well. Cook on a low flame for about 5-6 mins stirring constantly in between.
• Add lime juice and mix well.
• Cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins to induce all the flavors.
• Garnish with coriander leaves(optional), chopped onion and sev.
• Serve hot.
Tips and Tricks –
• Do not mash poha while washing. Wash with gentle hands so that it does not break.
• Adjust sugar, lime juice and chili as per taste.
• You can also add peanuts for the crunch.
• Covering poha at the end helps infusing flavours together. Though it is optional.