Mushrooms aren’t only tasty but also has various nutritional benefits. Also, it’s easy to cook mushrooms and various variety of things can be prepared using mushrooms. Mushrooms makes a good starter and main as well. I can eat mushroom in any form like soups, tikka, stuffed, gravies, stir fried and many more. Those who loves mushroom can totally relate to what I mean.
I have kept this recipe very simple with no complications so that you can cook it you want to have mushroom masala without much of the work to do. You can also add boiled peas along with mushrooms to the same gravy to make mushroom matar masala. Many a times I do this as well so that I don’t need to do the extra work, my husband eats the matar part and I get to eat all the mushrooms. 😊 With one single recipe both of us get to eat our favorites. You can also try this trick with your kids by adding their favorite vegetables to it and feeding them mushrooms (as mushrooms are of great benefit to health) with their favorite vegetable.
Preparation Time – 10-15 Mins
Cooking Time – 30 – 35 Mins
Serves – 2 People
• Mushrooms – 100 gms.
• Onion Puree – 1 Cup
• Tomato Puree – 1 Cup
• Garlic – 2 cloves
• Ginger – 1 Inch piece
• Roughly Chopped Coriander – 1 Tbsp
• Green chili – 1 No.
• Turmeric Powder – 1 Tsp
• Red chili powder – 2 Tsp
• Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp
• Garam Masala Powder- 1 Tsp
• Kasuri Methi – 1 Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Water – 1 Cup
• Coriander leaves to garnish
• Oil- 4-5 Tbsp
• Heat oil in a kadai/wok/pan.
• Add onion puree, mix and allow to cook on a medium low flame for about 3-4 mins.
• Meanwhile make a paste of ginger, garlic, coriander leaves and green chili. Add this paste to onion.
• Mix well and allow to cook on a medium flame for about 5 minutes or until onion turns nice golden brown in color. Keep stirring occasionally.
• Add tomato puree and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for about 8 – 10 mins. Add salt and turmeric powder in between.
• Mix well and allow to cook till oil starts to separate from masala, turns nice dark red in color and reduces in quantity.
• Add red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
• Add water and allow to cook on a high flame till masala starts to bubble up. Add garam masala and mix well.
• Meanwhile wash and clean mushrooms nicely. Blanch (Keep mushrooms in boiled water for about 5 minutes, covered) mushrooms and cut into slices.
• Add blanched mushrooms in gravy. Mix well.
• Cover and cook on a low flame for about 4-5 mins or until gravy thickens. Keep the desired consistency of gravy.
• Add kasuri methi and mix, cover and cook for next 2 mins.
• Garnish with coriander leaves.
• Serve hot with hot rotis, parathas or puris.
Watch the live recipe on Youtube Channel – Dine Delicious
Tips and Tricks –
• Cooks best when onion and tomatoes are used pureed.
• Do not cover the lid while cooking the masala.
• Use Everest Kitchen king masala/garam masala for the aroma.
• To make it less spicy add little less red chili powder or as required.
• Add water as per the desired consistency. Adjust salt accordingly.
• If you do not want to blanch mushrooms you can directly and add to the gravy and cook gravy for little more time, this might require little more water as suggested.
• Blanching is a process of adding vegetable in a boiled water, covered, till it softens. This helps retaining the color of the vegetable.
Nutritional Value of Mushrooms–
• Mushrooms are considered as one of the superfoods.
• Low in carbohydrates and rich in fiber.
• Good source of Vitamin B, D2 and iron.
• Mushrooms are said to have low calories and sodium, almost no fat and cholesterol.
• Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, mushrooms also helps in improving acnes and protects skin.