(Misal Pav Recipe)
Preparation Time – 15- 20 Mins
Cooking Time – 30 Mins
• 4 Medium size Tomatoes
• 2 Medium size Potatoes
• ½ Cup Peas
• ½ Cup grated Cabbage
• ½ Cup grated Cauliflower
• ½ Cup grated Capsicum
• 1 -2 Carrots(preferably red)
• 1 Tbsp Everest Bhaji masala
• 2 Tsp Red Chili or as per taste
• Salt to taste
• 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
• Water as required
• 4 Tbsp Oil
• 4-5 Tbsp Butter
• Wash all vegetables well.
• Peel n roughly chop potatoes and carrots.
• Boil together potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and peas with little water and salt to taste.
• Separate excess water from the boiled vegetables which can be later used as a stock to adjust the consistency of bhaji.
• Separate tomatoes from the vegetables and mash the remaining vegetables.
• Cool down and peel the tomatoes and puree.
• In a wok heat 3 Tbsp oil and add tomato puree to it. Cook the puree until it turns dark red in colour and oil is separated.
• In a separate wok heat 1 Tbsp of oil and sauté finely grated cauliflower, cabbage and capsicum. Make sure the vegetables do not lose its crunch.
• In a tomato puree add mashed vegetables and sauted vegetables (capsicum and cabbage) and mix well.
• Add bhaji masala, red chili powder, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
• Add water/stock as per consistency and let it simmer for about 12-15mins on a low flame, stir once or twice in between.
• Add butter to the bhaji in the end and mix well.
• Serve bhaji with pav accompanied with finely chopped onion and halved lemon. Add butter to the top as per taste.
Tips and Tricks –
• Cooks best in a heavy bottom or a non-stick pan/kadai.
• Always adjust spices and lemon juice as per your taste.
• Use of fresh peas gives a better taste. If not available, frozen peas can also be used.
• Instead of boiling peas along with potato and carrots, it can also be sauted with cabbage and cauliflower for the crunch to remain in peas.