Steamed rice is a staple food in almost all regions of India. There are variety of rice that are prepared across the world. In India mostly white rice and brown rice are grown and consumed. Basmati rice is one of most popular type of rice that is being consumed in all parts of the world specially India.
Steamed rice when topped with desi ghee (clarified butter) gives nice aroma and flavour.
Preparation Time – 5 – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 10 – 15 Mins
• Long grain basmati Rice – 1 Cup
• Water – 4 Cups
• Salt to taste
• Ghee – 1 Tsp
• Soak rice in a bowl for 10 minutes.
• Drain and wash rice under running cold water until clear water comes. Keep rice aside in a strainer.
• Boil water in a heavy pot. Add salt.
• Add rice in boiling water. Cook on high flame till water starts boiling again after adding rice. Do not cover the lid.
• Lower the flame once the water is boiled. Simmer undisturbed for about 10 – 12 mins. Check if rice has cooked by mashing the rice grain in between two fingers.
• Once cooked strain rice in a strainer till all remaining water is removed completely.
• Transfer in a serving bowl. Add ghee and mix gently.
• Serve hot with dal, sambar, rasam or any vegetable of your choice. (Tomato Rasam Recipe), (Tomato Rasam Recipe), (Rajma Masala Recipe), (Chole Masala Recipe), (Chana Masala recipe)
Tips and Tricks –
• Basmati long grain rice cooks best.
• Adding ghee prevents rice from sticking and gives it an aromatic flavour.
• Soaking rice beforehand takes less time to cook and yields longer grains after cooked.
• 1 cup of uncooked rice yields 2 ½ Cup of cooked rice.