Here I am sharing my recipe of tomato rice which is super quick and easy and yet delicious.
Usually tomatoes and rice are available at home so this makes my all-time favourite and quick dish when I am out of vegetables in my refrigerator or short of time as this dish can be prepared quickly.
Preparation Time – 5 Mins
Soaking Time – 10 Mins
Cooking Time – 10 Mins
• Rice – 1 Cup
• Tomatoes finely chopped – 3 Medium
• Cumin seeds – ½ Tsp
• Mustard Seeds (Rai) – 1 Tsp
• Whole Red Chili – 1 No.
• Curry Leaves – 10-12 Nos.
• Red chili powder – 1 Tsp
• Rasam Powder – 1 Tsp (Optional)
• Salt to taste
• Water as required
• Coriander finely chopped for garnish
• Oil- 1 Tbsp
• Wash rice nicely under running water.
• In a bowl soak rice in 2 cups of water for about 10 minutes.
• Heat oil in a pressure cooker add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole red chili. Allow to splutter.
• Add finely chopped tomatoes and mix well.
• Cook on a medium flame till tomatoes turn mushy. Stir occasionally.
• Add red chili powder, salt and rasam powder.
• If you don’t have rasam powder add pinch of turmeric, roasted cumin powder and coriander powder to give similar flavour.
• Drain water from soaked rice.
• Add rice to tomato masala. Mix well.
• Roast for about 2-3 mins.
• Add water.
• Cook on a high flame till water starts boiling.
• Cover the pressure cooker and cook on high flame for 1 whistle. This might take about 5 -6 mins.
• Lower the flame and cook for next 3-4 mins.
• Open the lid of cooker only after steam (pressure) has been released by itself.
• Do not try to release the pressure by removing whistle or this will leave the rice under cooked.
• Mix rice gently after opening the lid.
• Serve hot.
Tips and Tricks –
• Basmati long grain rice goes well for this recipe.
• Adjust spices as per taste.
• You can also add finely chopped garlic if you like garlic flavour.