Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Aloo Matar ki Tehri with step by step photo and video recipe.
If you are following me on Instagram, you must be knowing how much I love rice. I love having different preparations of rice.
You will see a lot of variety of rice on my Youtube channel and blog.
This recipe of rice is super, quick, easy and yummy. This makes an appearance in our menu often for a quick dinner.
It is loaded with veggies and packed with flavours.
This is a one-pot recipe which can be prepared for a quick weekday dinner or on lazy days.
People often confuse tehri with pulao. Tehri also known as tehri, tahari, tehari or tayari. It comes from an Awadhi cuisine in which rice is cooked with turmeric to give it a yellow colour.
In India, Tehri is known food in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Jharkhand. People relish it with kachumber salad and raita.
Video Recipe –
This recipe of Aloo Matar ki Tehri is –
1. Easy and quick
2. One-Pot Recipe.
3. Can be made vegan.
4. Loaded with veggies.
5. Healthy and Tasty
Other Rice Recipes you may like –
Pre-Preparation required for Aloo Matar ki Tehri –
For any rice preparation, always soak rice well in advance.
Wash, clean and cut all the required vegetables.
How to make Aloo Matar ki Tehri at Home –
Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds and add ginger and green chilli. Cook for a min.
Next, add the veggies and give it a mix. Now add in the spices as suggested and mix everything well.
To the veggies, add curd and stir in.
Next, add soaked rice and mix gently. Cook for a min. or two and then add required water.
Cook for 2 whistles. One on a high flame and second on a low flame.
Open the pressure cooker only when steam is released by itself. Serve hot.
Things to keep in mind while making Aloo Matar ki Tehri –
1. Make sure to soak rice beforehand. This will help in cooking rice perfectly yield long grain.
2. 1 Cup of rice will yield 2 cups of cooked rice.
3. Do not overcook vegetables as it will get cooked along with rice as well.
4. Adjust the flavours as per your taste.
5. You can also add whole spices like bay leaf, cloves, cardamom and black peppercorn to enhance the flavour.
6. Use good quality long grain basmati rice for this recipe.
7. Add 1.5 times of water, a double quantity of water at times will turn the rice mushy. It totally depends on the quality of the rice you use.
How to serve Aloo Matar ki Tehri –
Aloo Matar ki Tahari makes for a great dinner. It is a complete meal in itself. Serve it along with kachumber salad, raita and papad.
It also makes for a great side dish with an elaborative meal.
If you are planning an elaborative meal for guests, serve Tandoori Gobhi, Kathal Kebab for starters, Lauki Ka Raita, Tandoori Roti, Mushroom Masala and Salad along with Aloo Matar ki Tahari to make a complete meal.
Step by Step Aloo Matar ki Tehri Recipe –
1. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter cumin seeds.
2. Add ginger and green chilli, cook for a min. on a low flame.
3. Next, add sliced onions, potato, carrots and peas (matar).
4. Give everything a good mix.
5. Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
6. Mix everything well.
7. Next, add soaked and drained rice. Mix gently so that rice does not break.
8. Cook for a min. or two.
9. Finally add water and mix.
10. Let it boil, cover and cook for 2 whistles. One on a high flame and other on a low flame.
11. Open the pressure cooker only when steam is released by itself.
12. Serve hot with salad and raita.
You can also pin this on Pinterest recipe for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Ginger & Green Chilli
- 1 No. Sliced Onion (Medium)
- 1 1/2 Cup Aloo, Matar & Gajar
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Curd
- 1 1/2 Cups Soaked & Strained Rice
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter cumin seeds.
- Add ginger and green chilli, cook for a min. on a low flame.
- Next, add sliced onions, potato, carrots and peas (matar).
- Give everything a good mix.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Mix everything well.
- Next, add soaked and drained rice. Mix gently so that rice do not break.
- Cook for a min. or two.
- Finally add water and mix.
- Let it boil, cover and cook for 2 whistles. One on a high flame and other on a low flame.
- Open the pressure cooker only when steam is released by itself.
- Serve hot with salad and raita.