Aloo (Potato) Sandwich Recipe
Aloo Sandwich is my all-time favourite breakfast. There are so many sandwich recipes but nothing can beat a basic potato filling sandwich for me. Give me aloo (potato) sandwich with a glass of orange juice in the morning and I will be the happiest. Not only the taste but the best part is that it can be prepared quickly and easily. You can spice the aloo/potato as you like and make a sandwich out of it. Potatoes are usually available at home so it doesn’t need any brainstorming in the early morning to make quick aloo sandwich.
As a kid, I always liked to take aloo sandwich in my lunch box. So, Mom used to treat me at least once a week with her special sandwich. My recipe is slightly different than hers with the extra punch.
Whenever in the family there is conflict on what to eat for breakfast, aloo sandwich resolves it in a minute. Its everyone’s favourite and I am yet to meet a person who can say no to Aloo Sandwich.
Video Recipe –
Other sandwich recipes that you may like –
How to Prepare –
Boil potatoes and let it cool. Peel off and mash them. You can remove the edges of bread if you like to. The edges can later be used to make bread crumbs. Keep the spices and mint-coriander chutney ready. Make sure the butter is at room temperature.
How to Make Aloo Sandwich –
Mix together the mashed potato along with all the spices. Apply mint-coriander chutney on one bread and butter on the another. Spread the potato mixture evenly. Make sure that the mixture is neither too much or too less. Place the butter side bread over the potato mixture. Apply butter over one side of the sandwich.
On a heated tawa or grill pan place the sandwich with the butter side down. Apply butter on the other side as well. Cook on low heat till crisp and brown.
What kind of bread to be used for this recipe –
A normal sliced whole wheat/ all-purpose or multigrain bread is good for this recipe. Make sure the bread is as fresh as you can get. The softest bread not only makes them taste better but also the texture.
How to serve Aloo Sandwich –
Always serve sandwich hot along with ketchup, mint- coriander chutney, mayo sauce or any dip of your choice. Any fresh fruit juice or cold coffee goes well with this sandwich.
How to make a perfect sandwich –
Heat tawa or grill pan. Place the sandwich with butter side facing tawa. Apply butter on the other side as well. Make sure to apply butter generously, is adds to the flavours and makes the sandwich nice and crisp. It is important to maintain the temperature of the tawa it should not be too high. Cook on a low flame to get the crisp texture. Press gently with the spatula all over the sandwich to get the perfect texture.
Things to keep in mind while making the filling –
The potatoes should not be too mushy but perfectly boiled. Do not let potatoes, sit in water after boiling. Take them out immediately and allow to cool. In case the potatoes are over boiled, refrigerate them for half an hour before using.
If potatoes are over boiled and too mushy it will release the water content, making the sandwiches soggy.
Step by Step Aloo Sandwich Recipe –
• In a mixing bowl add mashed potato, finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, green chilli, black salt, salt, chaat masala and red chilli powder (optional).
• Mix everything well together. Set aside.
• Make sure the potatoes are not over-boiled (See tips above).
• Apply butter on one bread and mint-coriander chutney on another. (Mint-Coriander Chutney Recipe)
• Spread aloo (potato) filling over the bread.
• To make the sandwich, place one bread over the other.
• Then apply butter on one side.
• On a heated tawa, place the buttered side of the sandwich.
• Also, apply butter on the other side.
• Cook on both the sides on a low flame till crisp and brown. Press the sandwich gently using a spatula to get the perfect crisp texture.
• Serve hot with ketchup and dip of your choice.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Potato Sandwich Recipe
- Boiled & Mashed Potato - 1.5 Cup
- Finely Chopped Onion - 2 Tbsp
- Finely Chopped Coriander & Green Chilli - 2 Tbsp
- Chaat Masala - 1 Tsp
- Black Salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Tsp Optional
- Mint-Coriander Chutney
- In a mixing bowl add mashed potato, finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, green chilli, black salt, salt, chaat masala and red chilli powder (optional).
- Mix everything well together. Set aside.
- Make sure the potatoes are not over-boiled (See tips above).
- Apply butter on one bread and mint-coriander chutney on another.
- Spread aloo (potato) filling over the bread.
- Place one bread over the other, making sandwich.
- Apply butter on one side.
- Place the buttered side of sandwich on a heated tawa or grill pan.
- Apply butter on the other side.
- Cook on both the sides on a low flame till crisp and brown. Press the sandwich gently using spatula for perfect cooking.
- Serve hot with ketchup and dip of your choice.