I love eating Indo Chinese food any day. Its is so funny that we have innovated so many Chinese recipes that do not even exist in China:-D. Chilli Idli is one of those dishes of idli that we have reformed into a Chinese version. Leftover idlis can be best consumed in this form. My husband always prefers dosa over idli but he never says so no to Chilli Idli.
Quick and easy snack options or a good side dish with a light dinner to make a meal interesting. Usually, idlis are fried in this recipe but to avoid oily stuff I either shallow fry or cook it in minimum oil on low heat till idlis form a crisp crust. Idlis absorbs the flavours of Chinese sauces so well making it a perfect spicy and tangy dish.
Other recipes that you may like –
Places that serve amazing South Indian in Pune-
Chilli Idli also makes for a good lunchbox recipe for the kids during a snack break. There are many ways to reform idlis into a new dish but this one is my family’s favourite.
Video Recipe –
How to prepare –
As any Chinese recipe requires a quick-cooking on high heat, it becomes necessary to keep ready all the ingredients beforehand. Cut onions and capsicum. Keep the required sauces and spices ready.
Things to keep in mind while making this recipe –
1. To not stir idlis a lot, else it will break.
2. If you do not want to deep fry idlis, cook in a non-stick pan on a low flame with minimum oil, till golden crisp. This might take some time.
3. Cook vegetables on a high flame to retain the crunch.
4. Lower the flame while adding sauces and spices.
5. Adjust spices as per taste. Keep tasting in between.
6. As sauces have salt in them, add minimum salt and then adjust later.
How to Make Chilli Idli –
Cut idli into 4 pieces (if it’s a large no). Heat oil and cook idli on a low flame till the crust is crisp. Transfer it to a bowl. In a pan heat sesame oil. Add finely chopped garlic, green chilli and sesame seeds. Cook till the raw smell of garlic goes off. Add diced onion and capsicum. Cook on high heat for 2 mins. Add suggested sauces, salt and pepper and mix well. Finally, add idli and toss. Serve hot.
Step by Step Chilli Idli Recipe –
1. Cut idlis into 4 pieces (if it is of larger size).
2. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan. Cook idli on a low flame till crisp. Keep stirring occasionally.
3. You can also deep fry for idlis to be extra crispier.
4. Transfer it to a bowl.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Add finely chopped garlic and green chilli. Cook for 30 secs.
6. Also, add sesame seeds and mix well.
7. Next, add diced onion and capsicum. Cook on a high flame for 2 mins.
8. To flavour, add Schezwan sauce, ketchup, red chilli sauce, vinegar and soy sauce and mix well.
9. Season it with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for a min.
10. Finally, add fried idlis. Toss on high heat so that the flavours are mixed together.
11. Serve hot.
You can also pin this on Pinterest recipe for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
- Sesame Oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Idlis- 4 No.
- Finely Chopped Garlic - 1 Tbsp
- Green Chilli - 1 Tbsp
- Sesame Seeds - 1 Tsp
- Diced Onion - 1 No.
- Diced Capsicum - 1 No.
- Schezwan Sauce - 1 Tsp
- Ketchup - 1 Tsp
- Soy Sauce - 1 Tsp
- Vinegar - 1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Sauce - 1 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper - 1/8th Tsp
- Cut idlis into 4 pieces (if it is of larger size).
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan. Cook idli on a low flame till crisp. Keep stirring occasionally.
- You can also deep fry for idlis to be extra crispier.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add finely chopped garlic and green chilli. Cook for 30 secs.
- Add sesame seeds and mix well.
- Add diced onion and capsicum. Cook on a high flame for 2 mins.
- Add Schezwan sauce, ketchup, red chilli sauce, vinegar and soy sauce and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for a min.
- Add fried idlis. Toss on high heat so that the flavours are mixed together.
- Serve hot.