Khatti Meethi Dal
Khatti Meethi Dal with step-by-step instructions and video recipe.
Dal is an important source of protein for vegetarians. I make sure to include dal in our daily diet. Though I prepare different types of lentils to have with our meals. But my husband is fond of toor dal. I cannot have the Restaurant Style Dal Tadka every single day so I prefer making it in different ways.
One of the simplest toor dal recipe is Khatti Meethi dal. It is somewhat like Gujarati dal but not exactly the same. Where Gujarati dal tadka includes peanuts and tomatoes, this recipe of dal is the simplest of all.
It can be prepared quickly and with easily available ingredients at home.
I was never fond of portion of sweet in my savory dishes. After I got married, I had this Khatti Meethi dal and loved it. Not that I haven’t had it before, I tried having it at multiple places but never liked it. I always refrained from having khatti meethi dal.
May be because few people make it either too sour, sweet or spicy.
I learned how to make it perfectly from my MIL. I understood the key in this recipe is the balance of sweet, spicy and sour. Once you get that right you will fall in love with this recipe.
I make this toor dal often, especially when I don’t have enough time in hand.
This recipe of dal is –
1. Easy and quick to make
2. Can be prepared vegan
4. Healthy & Nutritious
5. No Onion No Garlic Recipe
6. Jain Recipe
More Recipes You May Like –
Video Recipe –
How to prepare for Khatti Meethi Dal –
Khatti Meethi dal needs only few ingredients which are usually available at home. To prepare for this recipe, soak toor dal for good 10 – 15 minutes.
Soak tamarind to make tamarind pulp. Keep ready the other suggested ingredients.
Once you start tempering, keep all the ingredients handy to make sure it doesn’t burn.
How to make tamarind pulp for this recipe –
I have tamarind pulp ready in my refrigerator always. In case you don’t have, soak tamarind pulp in warm water for 10 -15 minutes.
Squeeze out the pulp using tips of the fingers. For this recipe tamarind of lemon size should be enough.
Tip – Do not discard the tamarind rind (remains) after squeezing out the pulp. It can be used to clean iron utensils or to remove stains from any utensils. (use it the same day though)
How to make Khatti Meethi Dal –
Wash and rinse dal 4-5 times or until clear water comes out. Boil it with turmeric and salt. Open the cooker only when steam is release by itself.
For the tempering, heat ghee. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add curry leaves, green chilli and asafetida. Cook for half a min. Make sure the oil isn’t too hot, next add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Give it a mix.
Next add boiled toor dal. Mix well. Add water as required. Add tamarind pulp and jaggery, mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins. so that all the flavours are well combined.
Finish it off with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Things to keep in mind while making Khatti Meethi Dal –
1. Make sure the dal is boiled perfectly before adding tempering. Once you add tamarind to dal, it slows down the cooking of dal.
2. In case you boil dal in aluminum cooker, transfer it immediately to steel container, before adding tempering. The tamarind in the tempering reacts with aluminum making the food slow poison.
3. While making tempering make sure the ghee isn’t too hot to burn the spices.
4. Adjust the sweet and sour taste as per your taste. I add both in equal quantity.
5. Use ghee instead of oil in tempering for better aroma and flavors.
6. Once you add tamarind and jaggery allow it to boil for sometime so that all the flavors come together.
7. The dal gets thicken with time so if not serving immediately keep it slightly thinner than required.
Step by Step Recipe of Khatti Meethi Dal –
1. Boil soaked toor dal with some turmeric and salt for 2-3 whistles.
2. Open the cooker only when steam is released by itself.
3. In a pan heat ghee/oil. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
4. Add curry leaves, green chillies and asafetida (hing).
5. Cook for a min on a low flame.
6. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
7. Make sure the spices do not burn.
8. Add boiled dal and mix well.
9. Next add water as per the required consistency. Give it a nice boil.
10. Finally add tamarind pulp and jaggery.
11. Mix everything well.
12. Cover and cook for 3-4 mins so that the flavors are well combined.
13. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
14. Serve hot with roti, sabzi and rice.
How to serve Khatti Meethi Dal –
Khatti Meethi dal goes well with a simple Indian meal like roti, sabzi and rice. I usually serve this dal with karela sabzi and roti. It helps balancing the bitterness of karela.
It goes well with any sabzi. Pair it with kachumber salad, papad and pickle to make a complete meal.
Pair it with boiled rice for a quick weekday dinner.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
Khatti Meethi Dal
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4th Tsp Asafoetida
- 7 -8 Nos. Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Green Chilli
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Cup Boiled Toor Dal with turmeric & salt
- Water as required
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 1 Tbsp Jaggery
- Coriander leaves
- Boil soaked toor dal with some turmeric and salt for 2-3 whistles.
- Open the cooker only when steam is released by itself.
- In a pan heat ghee. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies and asafetida (hing).
- Cook for a min on a low flame.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Make sure the spices do not burn.
- Add boiled dal and mix well.
- Next add water as per the required consistency. Give it a nice boil.
- Finally add tamarind pulp and jaggery.
- Mix everything well.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 mins so that the flavors are well combined.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, sabzi and rice.