Desi Style Macaroni
Macaroni is a kind of pasta which goes well with different spices and preparations. Whenever I am in no mood to cook and yet wants to have something delicious, I prepare Desi Style Macaroni. It is also a kid-friendly recipe which can be prepared in no time when sudden hunger strikes. Also, pack this in your kids’ tiffin as a treat sometimes to make them smile. 😊
This can also be a quick fix for an easy dinner.
Its quick, easy and tastes delicious. I have used onion, capsicum and tomatoes. You can use any vegetables of your choice and adjust the spices as per taste.
For desi style taste I have added Maggi Magic Masala to get it spicy and tangy taste to it.
The most important part is to boil macaroni perfectly (not too sticky, not too raw). Watch the video link for better understanding.
Keeping the crunch to the vegetables intact gives it a nice bite.
This is an easy vegan pasta recipe.
What kind of pasta to be used for this recipe –
You can use any small variety of pasta for this recipe like Macaroni, Fusilli, Conchiglie and Farfalle to name a few.
Macaroni pasta is the most easily available type of pasta in India. It is always available in my pantry and comes handy so I use it for this recipe.
How to Prepare for Desi Style Macaroni Pasta –
Boil macaroni pasta till al-dente. Cut the required vegetables and keep the spices ready.
How to Make Indian Style Macaroni at home –
Heat oil in a pan. Add vegetables and cook till done.
Mix in spices, boiled macaroni and finish off with lime juice.
How to boil Macaroni perfectly –
In a big saucepan add water and let it boil. The ideal ratio of water: macaroni should be 6:1.
For 1 cup of macaroni boil 6 cups of water. Add salt and stir in. Next, add macaroni and let it boil. It should take approx. 6 mins. to boil till al-dente.
Check the back of the pack for exact timing. The boiling timing would differ from pasta to pasta. Make sure the pasta has still a bite to it i.e. al-dente. Do not let it overboil.
Once done strain immediately and pour cold water over it. Give a light coat of oil to prevent it from sticking.
You may also like –
How to serve Macaroni Pasta –
This desi style of macaroni is a complete meal in itself. It can be served as a small meal for choti bhookh. It can also be packed for a kids lunchbox.
Macaroni also makes for a great breakfast recipe or a quick weekday dinner meal.
Things to remember while making Macaroni Pasta –
1. Boil macaroni pasta till al-dente. Do not overcook else it will turn mushy.
2. Make sure to retain the crunch of vegetables. Add capsicum at the end so that it doesn’t overcook.
3. If using fresh peas, add at first and let it cook for some time, as it takes more time to cook.
4. Adjust spices as per taste. Adding Maggi Magic Masala gives it a nice taste.
5. Add enough oil so that the pasta does not stick to each other.
Step by Step Instructions –
Boiling Pasta –
1. Add water in a saucepan and allow it to boil. Next, add salt and macaroni.
2. Allow it to boil on a high flame till cooked well.
3. Strain excess water. Add cold water immediately to stop further cooking.
4. Add 1 Tsp of oil and mix well. This will prevent macaroni to stick to each other.
Preparing Masala –
5. In a pan heat oil. Add green chilli, garlic (optional), onion, peas and capsicum. Cook on a high flame for a minute or two. Stir occasionally.
6. Add tomatoes and cook till done. This will take approx. 2-3 minutes.
7. Next add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and maggi magic masala. Mix well.
8. I would recommend you to add ketchup but it’s optional. Mix well.
9. Finally, add boiled macaroni. Mix well and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
10. Finish it with lime juice in the end. Mix well and serve hot.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Macaroni Pasta -
- Water - 9 Cups
- Macaroni - 1.5 cups
- Oil - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tsp
- Green Chilli - 1 Tsp
- Onion - 3/4th Cup
- Capsicum- 3/4th Cup
- Tomato - 3/4th Cup
- Peas – ½ Cup Optional
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Maggi Magic Masala - 2 Sachets
- Ketchup – 1 Tbsp Optional
- Lime Juice
For Boiling Pasta
- Add water in a saucepan and allow it to boil. Add salt and macaroni.
- Allow it to boil on a high flame till cooked well.
- Strain excess water. Add cold water immediately to stop further cooking.
- Add 1 Tsp of oil and mix well. This will prevent macaroni to stick to each other.
For Preparing Masala
- In a pan heat oil. Add green chilli, garlic (optional), onion, peas and capsicum. Cook on a high flame for a minute or two. Stir occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and cook till done. This will take approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Next add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and maggi magic masala. Mix well.
- I would recommend you to add ketchup but it is optional. Mix well.
- Finally, add boiled macaroni. Mix well and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Finish it with lime juice in the end. Mix well and serve hot.