Raw Banana Fry
Raw banana is a healthy choice. I have deep fried this dish if you want you can either use air fryer or bake them in oven. It will taste equally tasty with the marination spices involved.
You must have tried many recipes using raw banana but this raw banana fry dish is different and flavourful recipe which will give burst of flavours in your mouth with its first bite leaving you wanting for more and more. If you don’t like raw banana you can also prepare this dish using potatoes.
Preparation Time – 5 – 10 Mins.
Marinating\Resting Time – half an hour
Cooking Time – 15 – 20 Mins.
Serves – 2-3
For making balls –
• Raw Bananas – 3 Nos.
• Water for boiling
• Salt to taste
For Marination –
• Oil – 1 Tbsp
• Lemon Juice – 1 Tbsp
• Salt to taste
• Red Chili Powder – 1 Tsp
• Coriander power – 1 Tsp
• Finely chopped coriander – 1 Tbsp
• Oregano – 1 Tsp (Optional)
• Paprika Powder – 1 Tsp(Optional)
For frying –
Follow step by step procedure as below for Raw banana fry recipe –
Preparing Balls –
• Wash and cut banana into two halves horizontally. In a pressure cooker add water for boiling and bananas.
• Cook bananas in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle on high flame and then cook for 2-3 mins on a low flame. Switch off the flame. Open the lid only after steam/pressure is released completely.
• Drain excess water from bananas using strainer. Make sure to remove excess water immediately else bananas will absorb excess water and become mushy.
• Peel bananas.
• In a bowl grate or mash bananas.
• Add salt.
• Mix uniformly.
• Make small equal size balls from mashed banana.
Preparing Marination –
• In a small bowl or container add oil.
• Add lemon juice to it.
• Add salt, red chili powder, paprika powder, coriander powder, oregano and finely chopped coriander leaves.
• Mix together all the spices.
Marinating Banana Balls-
• Dip a banana ball in marination.
• Coat marination nicely over banana ball.
• Marinate banana balls one by one till all the balls are nicely coated.
• Cover and keep them aside for half an hour.
Frying Banana Balls-
• Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Make sure the oil is heated enough for frying. You can check the desired temperature by dropping a small particle from banana ball. If it rises up immediately that means the oil is ready for frying.
• Add few banana balls at a time.
• Fry on a medium flame.
• Stir occassionally and cook till golden brown.
• Drain on an absorbent paper.
• Fry rest of the balls in batches.
• Serve hot with coriander-mint chutney and salad.
Tips & Tricks–
• Regulate the temperature of oil in between it should neither be too hot nor too cold.
• Adjust spices as per your taste.
• Do not over boil the bananas and right after opening the lid of cooker drain excess water else bananas will become starchy.