Schezwan Fried Rice
Schezwan Fried Rice with step by step photos and video recipe.
Whenever I am bored of eating Indian cuisine but still want to have some comfort food I opt for Indo Chinese. Schezwan fried rice is a spicy version of veg fried rice.
It can also be prepared using leftover rice and any vegetables can be used in this recipe.
Ever since I was a kid, I loved eating Chinese food. I remember there were not as many vendors of Indo Chinese food as we have now. Except for chaat we hardly used to eat any street food.
My mom used to make us all Schezwan Fried Rice using homemade Schezwan sauce that she learnt from my Aunt. Whenever we demanded something different, she would make us Gobi Manchurian, Chowmein, Noodles and Fried Rice.
Indo Chinese has become comfort food for me. I always keep the sauce stock ready in my pantry. It becomes easier to make a quick weekday dinner or some exotic weekend lunch with the addition of some starters like dry Manchurian, chilli idli to make a complete meal.
Let me know your memories with the Indo Chinese food in the comment section.
Video Recipe –
How to prepare for Schezwan Fried Rice –
Make sure you have suggested Chinese sauces for this recipe. In case you don’t have the homemade Schezwan sauce, use the readymade one. I prefer Ching’s Chinese sauces (not sponsored) if using store-bought.
Keep the boiled rice ready for the recipe. I prefer using each grain separate basmati rice for this recipe.
I use spring onion greens at the end usually but in case you don’t have it in hand, add coriander leaves instead. Cut the required vegetables.
How to make for Schezwan Fried Rice at home –
Once you have prepared for Schezwan Fried Rice and have all the ingredients in hand it becomes very easy and quick recipe to make.
Heat oil in a wok. To it add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Next, add other vegetables and cook them on high flame to retain the crunchy texture. Next, add boiled rice. Finally, add all the sauces as suggested and give it a nice mix.
Garnish with spring onion greens or coriander leaves. Serve hot.
More Rice Recipes you may like –
Things to keep in mind while making Schezwan Fried Rice –
1. Chinese cooking is done on a high flame to retain the texture of vegetables.
2. Always add sauce over the rice, to retain the colour of veggies.
3. You can also pre-mix the sauces and add them all at once.
4. Although a lightweight wok is preferred for this recipe as it makes tossing easy and cook veggies faster,
5. Since I don’t have one, I prefer using a cast iron pan which gives amazing texture and flavour on high flame.
Step by Step Method to make Schezwan Fried Rice –
1. In a wok heat oil. To it, add ginger, garlic and green chilli.
2. Cook on a high flame for half a min.
3. Also, add sesame seeds (optional).
4. Next add finely chopped onion, carrots, capsicum, bell peppers (optional). You can also add beans.
5. Cook on a high flame for 2-3 mins. Make sure the vegetables retain their crunchy texture.
6. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
7. Next, add boiled rice. Add vinegar, schezwan sauce, red chilli sauce and ketchup.
8. Give everything a good mix. Make sure the flavours are well combined.
9. Add in spring onion greens (ideally) or coriander leaves in case you don’t have spring onion greens.
10. Mix everything well.
11. Serve hot with the choice of your gravy.
How to serve Schezwan Fried Rice –
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my for updates on Youtube Channel video recipes
Schezwan Fried Rice
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, Garlic & Chilli
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 No. Finely Chopped Onion (Medium Size)
- 1 No. Finely Chopped Carrot (Small)
- 1 No. Finely Chopped Capsicum (Small)
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Bell Peppers
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Bowl Boiled Rice
- 1 Tsp Vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp Schezwan Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 1 Tsp Ketchup
- Spring Onion Greens
- In a wok heat oil. To it, add ginger, garlic and green chilli.
- Cook on a high flame for half a min.
- Also, add sesame seeds (optional).
- Next add finely chopped onion, carrots, capsicum, bell peppers (optional). You can also add beans.
- Cook on a high flame for 2-3 mins. Make sure the vegetables retain its crunchy texture.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Next add boiled rice. Add vinegar, schezwan sauce, red chilli sauce and ketchup.
- Give everything a good mix. Make sure the flavors are well combined.
- Add in spring onion greens (ideally) or coriander leaves in case you don’t have spring onion greens.
- Mix everything well.
- Serve hot with the choice of your gravy.