South Indian Style Curd Rice Recipe
Curd rice is a staple food in South India. No meal is complete without a serving of thayir sadam. South Indians love to end their meal with it. I, on the other hand, have it as my whole meal. A bowl full of curd rice is good enough for my lunch, especially during summers.
Whenever we plan to have our dinner out, I make sure to have curd rice for lunch at home. This keeps my tummy light and gives me more room to eat out 😉
It also help in reducing bloating. It is a healthy, quick and easy recipe.
The combination of curd with rice eases digestion and is rich in calcium and protein. It has healthy probiotic bacteria which takes care of your gut health. You can also use yoghurt in place of curd.
Other rice recipes that you may like –
Video Recipe –
Thayir Sadam also helps in reducing bloating. It is a healthy, quick and easy recipe. Dahi Chawal can be served for early dinner or lunch, or as a side dish.
How to prepare for this recipe –
There is not much preparation required to make this dish. It is a quick and easy recipe, it just needs all the ingredients ready while preparing.
Pre-cooking rice will help as it needs to cool down before making this dish.
Other Recipes with Curd –
How to make Curd Rice at home–
Prepare steamed/boiled rice either in cooker or pan. Add a cup of extra water to boil the rice for this recipe as we need it slightly mushy.
Mix boiled/steamed rice with curd, milk (optional) and salt. Add tempering prepared with oil, whole red chilli, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, urad dal, green chilli and curry leaves.
If preparing for kids, you can avoid adding green chillies but I personally love the flavour of green chillies in this dish.
Adjust the consistency as per your taste. Make sure to use nice, thick and creamy curd for this recipe. It is good to use fresh homemade curd always.
Milk is added in this recipe to balance the sourness. However, you can skip it, if using fresh homemade curd. Ideally, the combination of milk and curd should not be consumed as it is considered unhealthy.
This recipe requires slightly mashed and overcooked rice. Add 3 times of water instead of 2 while cooking rice for this recipe.
What kind of Rice is used to make Curd Rice –
I personally like Kolam, Dubraj, Bullet, Sona Masoori or Basmati Tukdi for this recipe. However, you can use any leftover rice as well for this recipe.
Things to keep in mind to make perfect Curd Rice –
1. Use slightly mashed rice for this recipe, this will help combine the curd and rice nicely.
2. Use a fork to mix curd and rice. This will help to get the right consistency.
3. Add the tempering right before serving for a better and fresh taste.
4. Always serve curd rice chilled. Prepare and let it refrigerate for some time.
5. Make sure to cool down the rice before using for this recipe.
6. Use can also use leftover rice for this recipe. However, you might have to mash the rice a bit before using.
7. Use any vegetable oil for this recipe. If you use ghee or coconut oil it will freeze as soon as the tempering is poured over the chilled curd.
8. The curd rice gets thicken with time while chilling in the refrigerator. So keep the consistency slightly thinner than required.
How to serve Yogurt Rice-
However, I like to have curd rice as a complete meal. It makes for a great quick and light lunch, especially during summers.
Ideally, it is great to end the meal with some portion of curd rice as it eases digestion.
Serve along with roti, choice of sabzi and dal to make a complete meal.
Step by Step Recipe to make Curd Rice –
Boil Rice –
1. To boil rice in a pressure cooker, add soaked rice along with 2 times of water and salt.
2. Cook for two whistles and open the cooker just when steam is released by itself.
Note – Wait for rice to cool down completely before starting to make the recipe.
Making Curd Rice –
1. Add boiled rice in a large mixing bowl. To it, add curd, milk (optional) and salt.
2. Mix well using a fork. Set aside or let it chill in the refrigerator.
Note – Add the tempering right before serving for best results.
Preparing Tempering –
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. To it, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, whole red chilli and asafetida. Let it splutter.
3. Also, add curry leaves, green chillies and urad dal.
4. Mix well and cook on a low flame for 2 mins, or till it turns crisp golden brown.
5. Add the tempering to the curd rice mix.
6. Mix well.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate (optional). Mix well.
8. Serve chilled.
To give different variations to this recipe, you can also add, grated carrot or beetroot or fresh coconut.
You can also add finely chopped onions to the tempering to add sweetness to the dish.
How to make Vegan Curd Rice –
To make it vegan, you can replace curd with coconut milk curd. Rest of the recipe will remain the same.
Other Names –
It is also known as Yoghurt Rice, Thayir Sadam, Dadhiannam/Dadyodanam, Khatta Chawal, Dahi Rice/Chawal. Different communities in India have different ways of preparing and serve it.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
Curd Rice/ Thayir Sadam
- Pressure Cooker
- Kadai or Pan
- Spatula or Kadchi
For Curd Rice
- For Curd Rice
- 1.5 Cups Boiled Rice Slightly Mashed
- 1 Cup Curd
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 No. Whole Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/8th Tsp Asafetida
- 2 Tbsp Washed Split Urad Dal
- 1 Tbsp Green Chilli
- Curry Leaves
- Coriander Leaves
- Pomegranate (optional - 2 Tbsp)
Boil Rice –
- To boil rice in a pressure cooker, add soaked rice along with 2.5 times of water and salt.
- Cook for two whistles and open the cooker just when steam is released by itself.
- Note - Wait for rice to cool down completely before starting to make the recipe.
Making Curd Rice –
- Add boiled rice in a large mixing bowl. To it, add curd, milk (optional) and salt.
- Mix well using a fork. Set aside or let it chill in the refrigerator.
- Note – Add the tempering right before serving for best results.
Preparing Tempering –
- Heat oil in a pan.
- To it, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Also, add cumin seeds, whole red chilli, asafetida and urad dal.
- Mix well and cook on a low flame for 2-3 mins, or till it turns crisp golden brown.
- Next, add green chillies and curry leaves. Cook for a minute.
- Add the tempering to the curd rice mix.
- Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate (optional). Mix well.
- Serve chilled.
- This recipe requires slightly overcooked rice. Add 2.5 times of water while boiling, instead of 1.5 times.
- Rice should be at room temperature before starting to make curd rice.
- Use, thick and creamy curd and adjust consistency as desired using milk or water.
- Use pomegranate if you like to add a slight bite to it, else feel free to skip.
- It gets thicker with time, so either serve immediately or make slightly thinner than required if serving later.
- Serve it as a side dish or after a meal to ease digestion.
- It helps in reducing bloating.