Turai Ki Sabji
Turai Ki Sabji Recipe with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
Turai also known as gilki, torai, tori, ghiura, nenua, toru, dodka, beerakaya, heerekayi, ridge guard, sponge gourd is a healthy vegetable from a cucumber family.
We make turai or sponge gourd at home, atleast once a week. Being foodies, we like to enjoy our vegetables in different ways.
This recipe of turai ki sabji also has yellow moong dal which gives the crunchy texture and added protein value to this sabzi. Hence, we call it Turai Moong ki Sabzi.
Gilki doesn’t take much time to cook. It is very easy and healthy vegetable which goes well with roti or paratha.
I am always up for such healthy and nutritious meals. Indian meals usually inclues roti, sabzi, dal, raita, rice, salad, pickle, papad and chutney in a meal.
With limited green veggies in hand, we try different recipes using the same ones.
Video Recipe –
Fun Fact: Do you know the luffa, luffah (the scrubbing sponge) is made using gilki when it is fully ripened?
This Turai ki Sabji Recipe is –
1. Easy & Quick to make
2. Gluten Free
3. Includes protein
4. Healthy & Delicious
More sabzi recipes from my kitchen –
How to prepare for Turai ki Sabji –
A little bit of preparation always makes the working easier and quicker in kitchen.
To make turai ki sabji with moong dal, at home, soak yellow moong dal for 2 hours.
Wash, peel and cut gilki/torai. Also finely cut tomatoes and keep the required spices ready.
How to make Turai Moong ki Sabzi at Home –
To make torai ki sabji in a different style, heat oil in a pan. Splutter jeera (cumin seeds). To it add soaked and rinsed moong dal and cook until done.
Next add tomatoes and cook nicely.
Add the suggested spices, turai and give it a nice mix. Cook until turai is nicely done.
Serve hot with roti or paratha.
Things to keep in mind while making Turai ki Sabji –
1. Remember to soak moong dal well in advance for easy cooking. In case to forget to soak, pressure cook it with just required water for one whistle.
2. Cover and cook dal and tomatoes for faster cooking.
3. Turai/Gilki cooks very faster. Do not overcook after adding turai else the sabzi will turn mushy.
4. Instead of finely chop, you can also puree or grate the tomatoes. You can also skip tomatoes if you wish to.
5. Adjust spices as per taste. You can also add a bit of garam masala if you wish to.
6. After cutting turai, do not keep it for too long, else it will start turning black.
Step by Step Turai Moong Ki Sabji Recipe –
1. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter cumin seeds.
2. To it add soaked and strained yellow moong dal. Mix well.
3. Cover and cook till dal is tender (for about 5-8 mins.).
4. Next add tomatoes, give it a nice mix.
5. Cover and cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Uncover, mash tomatoes a bit using the back of the spatula.
7. Flavour the sabzi with salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
8. Mix everything well.
9. Finally add turai and mix well.
10. Cover and cook till done.
11. Serve it with hot roti or puri.
How to serve Gilki Moong Dal ki Sabzi –
Turai ki sabji makes for a great daily healthy meal. You can serve it for lunch or dinner with roti or paratha.
To make a complete meal serve it with bhutte ki dal, Koshimbir, roti and Matar ki Chaat.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Turai ki Sabji
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4th Cup Moong Dal (Soaked for 2 hrs)
- 2 Nos. Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 500 gms Gilki/Turai
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter cumin seeds.
- To it add soaked and strained yellow moong dal. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till dal is tender (for about 5-8 mins.).
- Next add tomatoes, give it a nice mix.
- Cover and cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Uncover, mash tomatoes a bit using the back of the spatula.
- Flavour the sabzi with salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix everything well.
- Finally add turai and mix well.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Serve it with hot roti or puri.