Veggie Burger recipe
Veggie Burger Recipe with step by step photos and video recipe.
This recipe breaks down the process and shows How to make Crispy Veg Patty Burger at home from scratch.
Eating the same food on a daily basis, we all get bored at times. Whenever we crave for something different I make these Veg Burgers at home.
The crisp hot veg patty in between soft buns along with onion, tomatoes, cucumber and cheese is all you want to cheer you up.
Once you try this Veggie Burger Recipe at home, there is no looking back. This recipe makes for the best veg cheese burgers ever.
Everyone who has tried this burger says, it is even better than McVeggie Burger from McDonald’s. It is loaded, messy, cheesy and all things good that no one can say no to it.
More Sandwiches & Kebab Recipes you may like –
Video Recipe –
Pre-Preparation required for Veg Patty Burger Recipe –
There are a few things we need to prepare before starting to make the veg burgers at home.
1. Boil the potatoes. Do not over boil or under boil them. You can refrigerate for sometime before making the patty so that the potatoes are firm.
2. Prepare breadcrumbs –
How to make breadcrumbs at home?
To make breadcrumbs, break bread into 4 parts. Transfer to a blender jar and finely ground it to a smooth and flowy powder. I usually use the leftover bread corners that we remove while making sandwiches.
Heat the pan and dry roast the breadcrumbs lightly. Cool it down before use.
3. Prepare the Slurry –
How to make slurry at home?
To make slurry mix equal parts of cornflour and water (2 Tbsp cornflour + 2 Tbsp water), along with some salt and pepper. Mix nicely to form a smooth paste. Remove lumps if any. I prefer mixing with a fork to remove the lumps.
4. Finely chop the vegetables of choice like carrots, onions, capsicum, green chilli and coriander. You can also grate the carrot instead of chopping.
5. Keep ready all the spices, burger buns, cheese slices, spreads like mayonnaise, cheese spread and ketchup.
6. Cut the onions, tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce to use raw in the burger while assembling.
How to Make Veggie Burger at home –
To make a burger at home, we need to prepare the Veggie Patty first.
How to make Veggie Patty for Burger –
Mix all the ingredients mentioned under Veggie Patty. Divide into equal parts and shape them into the patty.
Dip the patty into the cornflour slurry and coat it evenly with breadcrumbs. Repeat this process. This will help to bind the patty and make it crispier.
You can either deep fry or shallow fry the patty. I prefer shallow frying it, to avoid the excess intake of oil.
While assembling the burger you can customize and add anything of your choice.
Cut burger bun horizontally, into two. Apply cheese spread or mayonnaise or spread of your choice, on the lower side of the bun and ketchup on another side.
Place lettuce on the lower side of the burger bun. Top it with tomatoes. Next place veg burger patty, cheese, onions, cucumber, jalapenos. Finally, place the other side of the burger on the top.
There is no fixed way of layering the burger, you can place vegetables, patty and cheese in any order of your choice.
More Recipes –
Things to keep in mind while making Veggie Burger Recipe –
1. Make sure the potatoes (aloo) aren’t overboiled or under boiled. It is always a good idea to refrigerate the potatoes before using. This will ensure the potatoes are firm.
2. If the Veggie Patty dough is not firm enough, add some cornflour, maida or rice flour. This will make sure the patty doesn’t break while shallow frying or deep frying.
3. You can use any spices of your choice in patty to customize it.
4. Assemble in any order of your choice. I prefer to place the patty in between vegetables.
5. The more the layers, the better it tastes.
6. If you like messy and juicy burger add more layers and sauces of your choice.
7. Place cheese over a hot patty to melt it. It will taste gooey and more delicious.
How to make Veg Burger healthy?
1. Baking Veg Patty (Alternative to shallow fry)–
If you want to have a healthier version of veg Burger, bake Veg Patty instead of frying it.
Bake at 180 °C for 20 mins or till done.
2. Use multigrain or whole wheat buns instead of regular buns.
3. In place of store-bought sauces, use healthy homemade spreads made of hung yoghurt or tomatoes.
Step by Step process to make Veggie Burger at home –
Cornflour Slurry –
1. In a bowl add cornflour, water, salt and pepper to form a slurry. Mix well.
Veggie Patty –
2. In a mixing bowl grate boiled potatoes. Add carrots, capsicum, boiled peas, green chilli, coriander leaves, salt, chaat masala, amchur powder and black salt.
3. Mix everything well together to form a stiff dough. If required add rice flour or cornflour.
4. Apply water on palms. This will prevent the dough from sticking and help in forming patty easily.
5. Divide into equal parts and shape them into the patty.
6. Dip it in cornflour slurry and coat well with breadcrumbs. Repeat this process to get a nice crispy coat on the patty.
7. Refrigerate the patties for 20 mins before frying.
Shallow Fry or Deep Fry the Patty –
8. Heat oil in a frying pan. Place the patties and cook on all sides on a medium-low flame till golden brown.
9. Cut the burger bun horizontally into two.
10. Apply mayonnaise or cheese spread on the lower part of the bun. Place lettuce, tomatoes over it.
11. Next, place veg patty and top it with cheese slice, onion, cucumber and jalapenos.
12. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
13. Apply ketchup on the other half of the bun and place it on the top.
14. Serve hot.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
Veg Burger Recipe
- Pan/ Tawa
For Veggie Patty -
- 1.5 Cups Boiled & Grated Potato
- 1/4th Cup Finely Chopped Carrots
- 1/4th Cup Finely Chopped Capsicum
- 2 Tbsp Boiled Peas
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Coriander
- 1 Tsp Green Chilli
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Chaat Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Amchur Powder
- Black Salt to taste
For Coating -
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Salt & Pepper
For Frying -
- Oil as required
For Assembling –
- Cream Cheese or Mayonnaise
- or any salad leaves of choice
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Sliced Cucumber
- Sliced Onions
- Jalapenos/Olives/Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Anything of choice
- Cheese Slices
Cornflour Slurry –
- In a bowl add cornflour, water, salt and pepper to form a slurry. Mix well.
Veggie Patty –
- In a mixing bowl grate boiled potatoes. Add carrots, capsicum, boiled peas, green chilli, coriander leaves, salt, chaat masala, amchur powder and black salt.
- Mix everything well together to form a stiff dough. If required add rice flour or cornflour.
- Apply water on palms. This will prevent the dough from sticking and help in forming patty easily.
- Divide into equal parts and shape them into patty.
- Dip it in cornflour slurry and coat well with breadcrumbs. Repeat this process to get a nice crispy coat on the patty.
- Refrigerate the patties for 20 mins before frying.
Shallow Fry or Deep Fry the Patty –
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Place the patties and cook on all sides on a medium low flame till golden brown.
- Cut the burger bun horizontally into two.
- Apply mayonnaise or cheese spread on the lower part of the bun. Place lettuce, tomatoes over it.
- Next place veg patty and top it with cheese slice, onion, cucumber and jalapenos.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Apply ketchup on the other half of the bun and place it on the top.