Arbi Ki Sabji
Arbi ki sabji recipe with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
I love eating arbi but do not like to prep it. 😀
I start getting itching if I peel it directly and it happens with so many people. So, my Mom and MIL has shared with me the tips to handle this problem.
Along with recipe I am going to share all the tips and tricks. This is a very quick and easy recipe which results in a delicious arbi ki sabji.
The blend of spices is the key to this recipe. If you follow all the tips that I share anyone can make this sabzi.
The crispy crust with spicy and tangy taste will make you want even more.
Arbi or colcassia or taro root is a starchy vegetable. It gets slimy if is overcooked. Cooking this sabzi to perfection is very important and can make or break the deal.
This recipe of Arbi ki sabji is –
Easy and Quick to make
Vegan and Gluten-Free
Healthy & Tasty
Video Recipe –
More sabzi recipes –
How to prepare for Arbi ki Sabji –
It is very important to cut the arbi the right way.
Wash and clean arbi thoroughly.
I prefer to par boil as it makes the cooking easier. Pressure cook the arbi for 1 whistle. Peel and set aside.
Keep all the suggested spices ready.
How to make Arbi ki Sabji at Home –
Once the arbi is cooled down peel it. Make sure it is not overcooked. We just need to pressure cook so that it is easily peeled.
Cut arbi into fingers. Heat oil in a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet. Add cumin seeds, sesame seeds and carom seeds and cook well. Next add green chilli and ginger and cook for a min.
Next add boiled and cut arbi and let it cook on a low flame in a covered pan. Uncover, add in all the spices and give a good mix.
Cook on a low flame till nicely brown and crisp. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Things to keep in mind while making Arbi –
1. Arbi turns a lot slimy if we pressure cook it for a long time. Make sure to cook only to ease the peeling.
2. If peeling directly (without boiling), grease your hands with oil, it helps to reduce the itching, if any.
3. Cook on a low flame in a broad pan till crisp.
4. Adjust the spices as per taste, carom seeds add a nice flavour and helps in digestion, the otherwise difficult to digest vegetable.
5. Keep stirring for even cooking.
6. You can replace the amchur powder with lime juice. But make sure to add it at the end.
Step by Step Arbi ki Sabji Recipe –
Boiling Arbi –
1. Wash and clean arbi thoroughly.
2. Pressure cook for a whistle on a high flame. Do not add too much water.
3. Open the cooker only when steam is released itself.
4. Strain excess water, let it cool.
5. Peel off the skin and cut into fingers.
6. It might it slimy and sticky, to ease the job, grease your finger with oil.
Cook Crispy Arbi Fry –
1. Heat oil in a broad pan (non-stick or cast iron skillet).
2. Add cumin seeds, sesame seeds and carom seeds. Cook for half a min.
3. Next add green chilli and ginger. Cook for a min on a low flame.
4. Add cut arbi and salt. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 4-5 mins. Stir in between.
5. Uncover, add salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder and garam masala powder.
6. Give it a good mix. Cook on a low flame till nice and crisp.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
How to serve Arbi ki Sabji –
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Arbi Ki Sabji
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Carom Seeds
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tsp Ginger & Green Chilli
- 500 gms Arbi (Boiled and Cut into Fingers)
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Amchur Powder
- 1/4th Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Coriander Leaves
Boiling Arbi –
- Wash and clean arbi thoroughly.
- Pressure cook for a whistle on a high flame. Do not add too much water.
- Open the cooker only when steam is released itself.
- Strain excess water, let it cool.
- Peel off the skin and cut into fingers.
- It might it slimy and sticky, to ease the job, grease your finger with oil.
Cook Crispy Arbi Fry-
- Heat oil in a broad pan (non-stick or cast iron skillet).
- Add cumin seeds, sesame seeds and carom seeds. Cook for half a min.
- Next add green chilli and ginger. Cook for a min on a low flame.
- Add cut arbi. Cover and cook on a medium flame for 4-5 mins. Stir in between
- Uncover, add salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder and garam masala powder.
- Give it a good mix. Cook on a low flame till nice and crisp.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.