Arrabiata Pasta Recipe, Red Sauce Pasta, How to make Arrabiata Pasta at home
Arrabiata Pasta is our family favourite pasta.
I prefer to make pasta at home as it gives me the liberty to keep the taste and consistency as per my choice. Me and my husband like our pasta to be perfectly cooked, neither too saucy nor too dry. Just exactly that every single pasta is well coated with sauce and is flavorful. We love red sauce pasta more than white sauce pasta.
I have been trying a mix match of a lot of recipes of pasta in my kitchen and finally settled on this perfect recipe of Arrabiata Pasta which never lets me down.
Do try the step by step recipe to cook your perfect red sauce/arrabiata pasta and you cannot go wrong with it. I am sure you will love the outcome.
Arrabiata is an Italian word meaning angry. Hence the sauce is fiery hot, justifying its name. Though I can’t take too much of spice and hence make it as per my taste buds. You can add as much spice as per your taste buds.
You can also prepare the sauce in bulk and refrigerate for about 2 weeks in an air-tight container. This way it will make for an easy weekday dinner recipe. All you need to do it boil pasta and mix it with sauce. Finish it with cheese and serve hot.
Video Recipe –
How to Prepare –
To make perfect pasta it should be cooked al-dente meaning 80% to get a perfect bite to it. Boil pasta and strain excess water. Pour ice-chilled water immediately to stop further cooking. You can also coat oil all over the pasta to prevent it from sticking. Although if it is boiled perfectly it should not stick.
Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for about 2 mins, peel and puree them. Finely chop garlic and keep the rest of the ingredients ready. That’s pretty much you need to prepare to make pasta.
How to make Arrabiata Sauce –
Heat olive oil and butter together till it is lukewarm. Add in garlic and red chilli flakes and saute on a low flame. This will add a nice flavour to oil and butter. Next, add tomato puree, salt and mix. Cover and simmer on a low heat for about 15 – 20 mins (depending on the quantity). Keep stirring in between. Then add rest of the ingredients. Also, add parmesan cheese and mix with the sauce. Finally, add some water used for boiling pasta. Give it a quick boil, add pasta and cook for 2-3 mins or until pasta is well coated in sauce.
Do not miss any ingredients to get the best flavour. Parmesan cheese gives a nice texture and flavour to this pasta and is highly recommended.
Which Pasta to use for making Arrabiata Pasta –
Although any pasta works as fine for this recipe, I prefer using penne pasta. It soaks in all the sauce inside, making it so flavourful.
Serve immediately. You can pair serve Ultimate Butter Herbed Baked Baby Potatoes as a side dish along with it.
Other recipes you may like –
Things to keep in mind while making Arrabiata Pasta –
- Reserve a cup of pasta water (in which the pasta is boiled) to add later in the pasta sauce. It adds the extra flavour and nice texture to the recipe.
- Add garlic and red chilli flakes in the oil to infuse maximum flavour.
- Simmer red sauce for a longer time to get the best flavours.
- Cook pasta al-dente, else it will get mushy.
- Though you can use any cheese but parmesan cheese gives the added texture and flavour which makes the pasta even more delicious.
- If possible, keep the sauce ready and immediately add the boiled pasta to the sauce. Else add the chilled water and coat with oil nicely to prevent it from sticking.
More Pasta Recipes –
Step by Step Recipe of Arrabiata Pasta –
Boiling Pasta –
1. Boil 8 times (of pasta) water in a saucepan. Add salt and pasta.
2. Cook till pasta is done 80%. Do not overboil it.
3. Strain excess water and add ice-chilled water immediately to stop further cooking.
4. Coat well with oil to prevent pasta from sticking. (optional)
Arrabiata Sauce –
5. Slit tomatoes from the bottom and blanch in boiling water for 2 mins.
• Blanching – Boil water, add tomatoes and switch off the flame. Let it rest for 2 mins.
6. Strain tomatoes and let it cool.
7. Meanwhile, boil pasta.
8. Once tomatoes are cooled down, peel and remove the tip.
9. Roughly chop and blend it to a smooth puree.
10. Heat oil and butter in a pan till lukewarm.
11. Add finely chopped garlic and red chilli flakes.
12. Cook on a low flame. Adding into lukewarm oil gives a nice flavor to it.
13. Add tomato puree. Add salt and mix well.
14. Cover and let it simmer on a low flame for about 15 – 20 mins. Keep stirring in between.
15. Add vinegar, red chilli powder, basil leaves, dried basil, sugar and pepper.
16. Mix well. Add parmesan cheese and mix well.
17. Add water (just as much as required) used for boiling pasta. Allow to boil.
18. Add boiled pasta and mix well.
19. Let it cook on a low flame for 2-3 mins or until pasta is well coated with the sauce.
20. Garnish with basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
21. Serve hot.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Do Subscribe to our Youtube channel for regular video recipes.
- Water – 8 times of pasta
- Whole Wheat Penne Pasta - 200 gms
- Salt to taste
- Oil Optional
For Arrabiata Sauce –
- Tomatoes – 4 No
- Olive Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Finely Chopped Garlic - 2 Tbsp
- Red Chilli Flakes - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar - 1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 Tsp
- Fresh Basil Leaves - 8 - 10
- Dried Basil - 1 Tsp
- Sugar - 1/8th Tsp
- Salt & Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
- Boil a litre of water in a sauce pan. Add salt and pasta.
- Cook till pasta is done 80%. Do not overboil it.
- Strain excess water and add ice chilled water immediately to stop further cooking.
- Coat well with oil to prevent pasta from sticking. (optional)
Arrabiata Sauce –
- Slit tomatoes from the bottom and blanch in boiling water for 2 mins.
- Blanching – Boil water, add tomatoes and switch of the flame. Let it rest for 2 mins.
- Bring out the tomatoes and let it cool. (Meanwhile boil pasta in the same water).
- Once tomatoes are cooled down, peel and remove the tip.
- Roughly chop and blend it to a smooth puree.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan till lukewarm.
- Add finely chopped garlic and red chilli flakes.
- Cook on a low flame. Adding into lukewarm oil gives a nice flavor to it.
- Add tomato puree. Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and let it simmer on a low flame for about 15 – 20 mins. Keep stirring in between.
- Add vinegar, red chilli powder, basil leaves, dried basil, sugar and pepper.
- Mix well. Add parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Add water (just as much as required) used for boiling pasta.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add boiled pasta and mix well.
- Let it cook on a low flame for 2-3 mins or until pasta is well coated with the sauce.
- Garnish with basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot.