Baingan ka Bharta
Baingan ka bharta with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
I do not like baingan but I love baingan ka bharta. The beauty of Indian cooking is that you can make one single vegetable in many ways using different cooking techniques and flavours.
Baingan ka bharta is one of those dishes which uses ancient Indian way of roasting the baingan (aubergine) and then cook it with onion and tomatoes. Baingan also known as aubergine, eggplant or brinjal is used in worldwide cuisine for different recipes.
Even before there were stove top or electric ovens, Indian cooking was done using woods on clay oven or bhatti. The slow cooking and roasting on a clay oven bring out the amazing flavours in any dish.
Though we don’t use clay oven often in urban cities, we still can achieve the flavours by roasting directly on fire on stove top.
This baingan bharta recipe uses minimal spices yet it has beautiful flavours. It is smoky, spicy and tangy.
This is a semi dry Indian curry which makes for a great side dish with roti or paratha. I even like baingan bharta with steamed rice.
There are many variations to baingan ka bharta in Indian cuisine. This one is a Punjabi baingan ka bharta recipe.
My Mom makes the best ever baingan ka bharta and I am sharing her recipe today. The smoky flavour essentially comes from charcoal, but since its not readily available, we will manage without it. Checkout the recipe to find all the tips and tricks.
More Sabzi Recipes from my kitchen –
This Recipe of Baingan ka Bharta is –
1. Easy and Quick to Make
2. Has smoky flavour
3. Vegan and Gluten Free
4. An easy Indian Curry Recipe
How to prepare for Smoky Bharta –
Wash and wipe baingan nicely. Prick using knife. Add in the garlic cloves in those cuts (optional). Brush with oil and roast on an open flame on a stove top.
Which baingan to use for this recipe?
Large oval shaped, purple, Indian brinjal, also known as bharta baingan, is used for this recipe.
How to roast brinjal without oven?
Prick and brush oil on a washed brinjal. Cook on an open (low) flame till charred. Keep rotating in between for even cooking from all sides.
You can use roasting grill rack, though it is not mandatory.
How to roast baingan in the oven?
If you like to ease the work, alternatively you can bake the brinjal in oven.
Though it will not give the same smoky flavour but might save you some time.
To roast baingan in oven, pre heat the oven. Line the baking tray with aluminum foil. Make slits in baingan and brush oil generously.
Place it on the baking tray and bake for 20-25 mins at 180 C or till it turns mushy and done.
Bring out from the oven once done, let it cool and peel off the skin, finely chop and use in the recipe.
How to make Baingan Bharta at Home –
Heat oil in a kadai, add finely chopped onion and cook on a low flame till nicely charred (this is will give smoky flavour to the dish).
Add in the tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy and start leaving oil from sides. Flavour it with salt and red chilli powder. Now add peeled and finely chopped roasted baingan.
Give everything a nice mix. Finish with coriander leaves.
Things to keep in mind while making Bharta Recipe –
1. Roast baingan on a low flame and keep rotating till nicely charred from all sides.
2. Brushing brinjal with oil before roasting makes it juicier.
3. Use clay handi or pot for making this recipe, it will add more flavours.
4. Cook onions till nicely charred to get the added smoky flavour. Always cook on a low flame till done. Keep stirring in between.
5. Make sure to cook tomatoes till it start to leave oil from side and turns mushy.
6. Use mustard oil for best taste.
Step by Step Recipe of Baingan ka Bharta –
Roast Baingan –
1. Wash and pat dry the baingan nicely.
2. Prick using knife on all sides.
3. Add peeled garlic cloves in the cuts (optional).
4. Roast on an open (low) flame till it is completely charred on all sides. Keep rotating in between for even cooking.
5. Transfer it to a plate and let it cool.
Make Baingan Bharta –
6. Smoke mustard (prefereed) oil in kadai. Let it cool down a bit.
7. Add finely chopped onion. Cook on a low flame till charred. Keep stirring in between.
8. Now add finely chopped tomatoes. Give it a nice mix.
9. Cover and cook on a low flame till tomatoes turn mushy. Stir in between.
10. Uncover and cook till it starts to leave oil from sides.
11. Meanwhile peel the roasted brinjal and finely chop it.
12. Add in the salt and red chilli powder to onion tomato masala.
13. Now add roasted baingan and mix everything a nice mix.
14. Keep cooking on a low flame for 3-4 mins so that all the flavours come together.
15. Finish it with coriander leaves.
16. Serve hot with roti or paratha.
How to serve Baingan ka Bharta –
This recipe of Baingan ka Bharta goes well with roti, paratha or rice.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Baingan Bharta Recipe
- 1 No. Baingan/Brinjal (Large)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 No. Finely Chopped Onion
- 4 No. Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
Roast Baingan –
- Wash and pat dry the baingan nicely.
- Prick using knife on all sides.
- Add peeled garlic cloves in the cuts (optional).
- Roast on an open (low) flame till it is completely charred on all sides. Keep rotating in between for even cooking.
- Transfer it to a plate and let it cool.
Make Baingan Bharta –
- Smoke mustard (prefereed) oil in kadai. Let it cool down a bit.
- Add finely chopped onion. Cook on a low flame till charred. Keep stirring in between.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes. Give it a nice mix.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till tomatoes turn mushy. Stir in between.
- Uncover and cook till it starts to leave oil from sides.
- Meanwhile peel the roasted brinjal and finely chop it.
- Add in the salt and red chilli powder to onion tomato masala.
- Now add roasted baingan and mix everything a nice mix.
- Keep cooking on a low flame for 3-4 mins so that all the flavours come together.
- Finish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha.