Jeera Rice with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
The simplest and most loved rice recipe at my home is jeera rice. Its quick and easy to make and makes for a perfect weekday dinner with any dal, curry or raita on the side.
In Indian restaurants you will definitely find jeera rice on the menu, as it goes well with all kinds of curries and lentils.
There are three different ways of making jeera rice –
1. In a wide and deep sauce pan (makes the best and fluffy rice every single time).
2. In an Instant Pot (Super simple and hassle free)
3. In a Pressure cooker (quickest and easiest).
Today I’ll be sharing easiest and quickest way of making jeera rice in pressure cooker.
Jeera Rice or Seeraga Samba Rice is an aromatic, non-sticky and fluffy rice preparations, which needs simple pantry staples and comes together in no time and effort.
This recipe of Jeera Rice is –
1. Easy and Quick to make
2. One-Pot Recipe
3. Fluffy & Aromatic
4. Can be made vegan
5. Makes for a great weekday dinner
6. Effortless and Less Time Consuming
Video Recipe –
Other Rice Recipes you may like –
Pre-Preparation required for Seeraga Samba –
This is the simplest and easiest rice preparations. All you need to do is wash and soak rice for 20 mins. before making.
Which rice is best for Jeera Rice –
Long grain basmati rice is best for making perfect fluffy, each grain separate jeera rice at home. The more its is aged, the better it is.
How to make Jeera Rice in Pressure cooker –
Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds, add bay leaf and fresh coriander leaves. Give it a mix.
Add soaked rice, water salt and lime juice. Stir in gently. Cook for 2 whistles (1 on high and other on low flame). Open the lid only when steam is released by itself. Serve hot.
Things to keep in mind while making Jeera Rice in Cooker –
1. Soak rice for 20 mins. for best results.
2. Quantity of water differs from rice to rice. Keep a check.
3. Do not overcook and over stir, else rice will break.
4. Give a gentle mix once the rice is prepared, to fluff and serve.
5. Open the pressure cooker only when steam is released by itself.
6. If you soak it for larger time, use even less water as suggested and cook for only 1 whistle on high flame.
7. Use good quality basmati rice for this recipe.
8. Adding lime juice helps retain the white colour and fluffiness of the rice. Though it is totally optional.
Step by Step Jeera Rice Recipe –
Soak Rice –
1. In a deep sauce pan wash rice thoroughly 4-5 times or until clear water comes out.
2. Soak the rice for 20 mins.
Cook Rice –
3. Heat ghee or oil (preferred) in a pressure cooker.
4. Splutter cumin seeds, add bay leaf, fresh coriander leaves and cook for a min.
5. Add soaked rice and water. Mix in gently.
6. Season it with salt and some lime juice. Stir in gently.
7. Pressure cook for 1 whistle on high flame and 1 on low flame.
8. Open the lid only when steam is released by itself.
9. Serve hot.
How to serve Jeera Rice –
Jeera Rice goes well with any Indian curry, raita, lentil of legume.
You can serve it with any of the below side dishes –
1. Boondi Raita
2. Dal Makhani
3. Rajma Masala
4. Dum Aloo
You can also pin this Pinterest recipe for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1 No. Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 Cup Soaked Rice
- 1.5 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
Soak Rice –
- In a deep sauce pan wash rice thoroughly 4-5 times or until clear water comes out.
- Soak the rice for 20 mins.
Cook Rice –
- Heat ghee or oil (preferred) in a pressure cooker.
- Splutter cumin seeds, add bay leaf, fresh coriander leaves and cook for a min.
- Add soaked rice and water. Mix in gently.
- Season it with salt and some lime juice. Stir in gently.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle on high flame and 1 on low flame.
- Open the lid only when steam is released by itself.
- Serve hot.