Methi Matar Malai Recipe
Methi Matar Malai Recipe with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
Methi (Fenugreek Leaves) and Matar (peas) are both seasonal vegetables. In winters when markets are loaded with fresh veggies like methi and matar, I get those in abundance to make full use of them.
We all love to include as many vegetables as we can in our daily meals. Although we cannot eat the same vegetable the same way every single day.
This recipe of homemade Methi Matar Malai is sure to give all the restaurant style feel at home.
It is rich, creamy, delicious and on the top of all its is super easy to make.
The sweetness of matar (fresh peas), the bitterness of methi (fenugreek leaves) and the creaminess of malai makes a perfect blend to yield this yummy Indian curry recipe.
Methi Malai Matar makes for a great lunch or dinner especially if you have any guests coming over. You can also make your weekend lunch special with this restaurant-style recipe.
Though the name of the dish can make you little overwhelming, but it needs very few ingredients and comes out in no time.
This Methi Matar Malai Recipe is –
1. Easy to make
2. Gluten Free
3. Rich & Creamy
4. Restaurant Style
5. Healthy & Delicious
6. Includes green vegetables
Video Recipe –
More restaurant style sabzi recipes from my kitchen –
How to prepare for Methi Matar Malai Sabzi –
To make Methi Matar Malai at home, you need to clean and wash fresh methi (fenugreek leaves) properly.
Plan well in advance and store (in refrigerator) 4-5 days of malai (milk cream) or use fresh cream instead.
Peel fresh peas and keep them ready. If using frozen peas, thaw them or soak them in warm water beforehand to bring them to normal temperature.
How to make Methi Matar Malai at Home–
Boil diced onion, green chilli, ginger, bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, cardamom and cashews with some water until soften.
Blend to a fine puree (discard whole spices) and strain to get smooth consistency.
Heat oil and butter in a pan, cook methi and matar with some salt. Set aside.
In the same pan heat butter and cook the prepared gravy for a while. Add cooked methi and matar.
Finally add malai and suggested spices. Bring it to a boil.
Serve hot with roti, naan or paratha.
What can I use in place of fresh malai?
Feel free to use packaged fresh cream which are easily available at any grocery store.
What can I use in place of fresh peas?
If you do not have fresh peas available, use frozen peas instead. Make sure to bring them to normal temperature before use.
Can I make it if I do not have fresh methi available?
Yes, even if you do not have fresh methi available at home, soak 4 Tbsp of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) in warm water for 30 mins.
Discard the water and use the leaves.
Things to keep in mind while making Methi Mutter Malai ki Sabzi –
1. Make sure to discard the whole spices before grinding.
2. Strain the puree to get silky smooth texture.
3. Do not overcook after adding malai or cream.
4. If using frozen peas, make sure to bring them to normal temperature by soaking them in warm water for 10 mins.
5. The gravy will thicken with time, if not serving immediately keep the gravy slightly thinner than required.
6. You can skip the sugar if you want.
Step by Step Methi Matar Malai Recipe –
Gravy Preparation –
1. In a pan, add slided onion, green chilli, ginger, cashew, bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, salt and water.
2. Cover the pan and cook for about 10 – 15 mins or until boiled nicely till soften.
3. Let it cool a bit, discard bay leaf and transfer to a blender jar.
4. Blend it to a fine puree.
5. Strain to get the silky and smooth texture. Set aside.
Making Sabzi –
6. In the same pan heat some oil and butter.
7. Add finely chopped methi leaves and cook till wilted.
8. To it add boiled peas and some salt.
9. Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins.
10. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
11. In the same pan heat some butter, add the prepared gravy.
12. Cook on a low flame for about 5-6 mins. Stir in between.
13. To the gravy add methi matar mix and mix well.
14. Next add malai to it.
15. Give everything a good mix.
16. Finally add sugar, garam masala powder and kasuri methi.
17. Mix everything well. Give it a boil on ahigh flame. Stir in between.
18. Serve hot with naan, roti or paratha.
How to serve Methi Matar Malai ki Sabji –
This restaurant-style rich and creamy methi matar malai ki sabji goes well with roti, naan or laccha paratha.
To make a complete meal serve it with dal, raita, roti and salad.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Methi Matar Malai Recipe
For Gravy –
- 1 No. Onion (Medium Size)
- 1 Tbsp Green Chilli & Ginger
- Bay Leaf, Cinnamon, Clove & Cardamom
- 8 - 10 Nos. Cashews
- Water as required
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 + 1 Tbsp Butter
- 250 gms Finely Chopped Methi
- 1/2 Cup Boiled or Frozen Peas
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Malai
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Kasuri Methi
Gravy Preparation –
- In a pan, add slided onion, green chilli, ginger, cashew, bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, salt and water.
- Cover the pan and cook for about 10 – 15 mins or until boiled nicely till soften.
- Let it cool a bit, discard bay leaf and transfer to a blender jar.
- Blend it to a fine puree.
- Strain to get the silky and smooth texture. Set aside.
Making Sabzi -
- In the same pan heat some oil and butter.
- Add finely chopped methi leaves and cook till wilted.
- To it add boiled peas and some salt.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan heat some butter, add the prepared gravy.
- Cook on a low flame for about 5-6 mins. Stir in between.
- To the gravy add methi matar mix and fresh malai.
- Give everything a good mix.
- Finally add sugar, garam masala powder and kasuri methi.
- Mix everything well. Give it a boil on ahigh flame. Stir in between.
- Serve hot with naan, roti or paratha.