Paneer Khurchan Recipe, How to Make Paneer Khurchan at Home
Paneer Khurchan Recipe with video and step by step photos for easy understanding.
It is a North Indian curry mostly found in the menus of restaurants and dhabas. Paneer is the major source of protein for vegetarians and I like to cook it in different ways. Paneer Khurchan is an easy mains dish which goes well with roti, puri, naan, paratha or any Indian bread.
I once cooked this recipe randomly and when I served it to my husband, and he loved it. It reminded him of one of his favourite restaurants as a kid. Since then whenever I make paneer at home his first demand would be Paneer Khurchan. I also don’t mind making it as I love it too and it is very simple, easy and quick to make this version of paneer or cottage cheese.
It makes for a great lunchbox recipe and an easy weekday dinner recipe as well.
Another interesting paneer dish that I cook often is – Palak Paneer Paratha Recipe
Video Recipe –
What is Paneer Khurchan –
Paneer khurchan is a recipe prepared with onion, tomato, capsicum and few spices. After adding paneer, the sabzi is left untouched on a high flame for 1-2 mins, then it is scrapped (khurachana in Hindi) from the bottom using a sharp-edged spatula, hence the name ‘khurchan’. This helps in making paneer crisp and brown from the bottom giving it a nice bite.
How to Prepare –
To do the initial preparation for Paneer Khurchan, slice onions, tomatoes and capsicum. Finely chop green chilli and coriander leaves and make ginger garlic paste. Make sure that the paneer is fresh else dip it in lukewarm water for 8 – 10 mins. This will help paneer to get softer. Keep ready the spices and other ingredients as mentioned in recipes.
Other recipes you may like –
How to make Paneer Khurchan –
To make paneer khurchan heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add ginger-garlic paste, finely chopped green chilli and coriander leaves. Cook for a min. Now add sliced onion and cook for 2 mins on a low flame.
Next, add sliced tomatoes and capsicum and cook for another 2 mins. Then add in the spices, mix well. Add some water and give it a boil. Finally, add paneer and cook on high flame for 2 mins. Finish it with some coriander leaves, fresh cream and grated paneer.
Things to keep in mind while making paneer (cottage cheese) dish–
1. To make any paneer recipe it is must to have fresh and soft paneer.
2. Do not over-cook the paneer.
3. For this recipe, do not stir or flip a lot. As the name suggests, khurchan, it should stick to the bottom of the pan and then scraped (khurachna). This gives paneer a crispy texture.
4. Do not over-cook vegetables. Cook them on high flame to retain the crunch.
5. Cook on a heavy bottom pan for best results.
6. Use whey if available, for better taste.
Step by Step Paneer Khurchan Recipe –
• Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
• To it, add ginger-garlic paste, finely chopped green chilli and coriander leaves. Cook for a min on a low flame.
• Next, add sliced onion. Mix well. Cook for a min or two.
• Also, add sliced capsicum and tomato. Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins on a high flame.
• To flavour it, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, kasuri methi and salt.
• Mix everything well. Add whey (residue of paneer) or water.
• Give it a boil on a high flame.
• Finally, add paneer and mix well.
• Cook for 2 mins on a high flame. Do not stir.
• Now scrape(khurachana) paneer from the bottom of the pan and mix. The paneer will turn slightly brown and crispy.
• Finish with fresh cream, grated paneer and finely chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve hot with roti, paratha or puri.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Paneer Khurchan Recipe
- Oil or Ghee preferred - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 Tsp
- Finely Chopped Green Chilli & Coriander
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 Tsp
- Sliced Onion - 1 Medium Size
- Sliced Capsicum - 1 Medium Size
- Sliced Tomato - 1 Large
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 Tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 Tsp
- Kasuri- 1 Tsp (Dried Fenugreek leaves Methi)
- Salt to taste
- Water or Whey - 2 - 3 Tbsp
- Diced Paneer - 150 gm
- Finely Chopped Coriander - 1 Tbsp
- Grated Paneer - 1 Tbsp
- Fresh Cream or Malai - 1 Tbsp
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, finely chopped green chilli and coriander leaves. Cook for a min on a low flame.
- Add sliced onion. Mix well. Cook for a min or two.
- Add sliced capsicum and tomato. Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins on a high flame.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, kasuri methi and salt.
- Mix everything well. Add whey (residue of paneer) or water.
- Give it a boil on a high flame.
- Add paneer and mix well.
- Cook for 2 mins on a high flame. Do not stir.
- Now scrape(khurachana) paneer from the bottom of the pan and mix. The paneer will turn slightly brown and crispy.
- Finish with fresh cream, grated paneer and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or puri.