Red Sauce Pasta
Red Sauce Pasta is one of the most loved Italian dish in India. The spiciness and tanginess of tomato sauce pleases the Indian tastebuds.
This recipe of Spaghetti in Red Sauce is vegetarian, easy and tastes delicious. I have been making pasta at home for a long time now.
After researching and reading a lot about Italian cuisine, I am sharing all the tips and tricks to make a perfect red sauce pasta at home.
The key here is the slow cooking to make the delicious tomato sauce from scratch using fresh ingredients that are easily available.
The flavours are well absorbed and sauce sticks very well to the pasta giving taste to each bite you eat.
Spaghetti in red sauce vegetarian, is well served with soup of your choice and garlic bread to make a dinner for your special weekend night.
Sometimes all you need is a hearty and comforting bowl of good food to make your day. This pasta is a comfort food you need on a winter night.
The red sauce pasta recipe is prepared using spaghetti pasta in fresh tomatoes, garlic, red chilli flakes, fresh basil, mixed herbs and tomato puree to give it bold, and intense flavours.
This is a step-by-step guide to make a perfect homemade Red Sauce Spaghetti Pasta from scratch.
This recipe of Red Sauce Pasta is –
2. Easy to make
Video Recipe –
More Pasta Recipes –
Soups to go along with pasta –
How to Prepare for Red Sauce Pasta –
The Tomato Sauce is the key to a perfect red sauce pasta. The freshest of ingredients is all you need to make a perfect pasta for you and your family.
How to boil pasta perfectly?
Keep pasta, spaghetti in this case, al-dente (80 %) to give it a perfect bite.
Boil water, once it starts to bubble, season it well with good amount of salt to give pasta the good flavour.
Add spaghetti pasta, you can also use gluten-free pasta.
Boil till its 80% cooked or as suggested on the back of the pasta packet.
Strain excess water, add it to the tomato sauce.
How to make Tomato Sauce for Pasta?
How to blanch tomatoes?
Make to vertical slits on the back of tomatoes (as shown). Boil water, add tomatoes to the boiling water.
Switch off the flame. Remove tomatoes when they start to peel.
To make perfect tomato sauce for the pasta, peel blanched tomatoes, remove the tip and roughly chop them.
Heat olive oil, add in garlic and red chilli flakes while its luke warm. This will help infuse the flavours well to the oil.
Next add finely chopped onion and cook till translucent. Now, add blanched and chopped tomatoes. To it add salt, cover and let it cook for good 15 – 20 mins. on a low medium flame.
Next add tomato puree (store bought), tomato paste would do the job better here, mixed herbs, fresh basil, pepper and mix well.
Add in some reserved pasta water for the perfect consistency. Cover and let it boil. Lower the flame and cook till you get desired consistency.
Perfect tomato sauce for the pasta is ready.
Which pasta to use for making Red Sauce Pasta?
You can use any pasta of your choice like – penne, fusilli, ravioli, spaghetti or any other.
You can also use gluten-free pasta if you wish to. This time I have used spaghetti pasta for this recipe.
Things to keep in mind while making Red Sauce Pasta –
1. Use fresh ingredients to make best red sauce pasta.
2. Fresh basil leaves add a nice flavour and aroma to this recipe.
3. Add garlic and red chilli flakes to luke warm oil to infuse flavours.
4. Use store bought tomato paste or puree to add intense flavours.
5. Boil pasta al-dente. Do not add any oil while boiling pasta or after straining water.
6. Make sure to not add cold water to the pasta after boiling, some amount of starch on the pasta, helps the sauce to stick to it, adding flavour to each bite.
7. Make sauce side by side while pasta is boiling. Add pasta to the sauce right after boiling.
8. Reserve a cup of pasta water (in which the pasta is boiled) to be used later in the sauce to give it nice consistency.
9. Simmer red sauce for a longer time to get the best flavors.
1. Boil 3 litres of water in a sauce pan.
2. Once it starts to bubble add good amount of salt to it.
3. Add spaghetti pasta and cook all-dente (80%).
4. Reserve some pasta water for later use.
5. Strain excess water and set aside or add to the sauce, if ready.
Blanch Tomatoes –
6. Slit tomatoes from the bottom (as shown), add in boiling water.
7. Switch of the flame, let the tomatoes rest in boiling water till it starts to peel.
8. Take them out, peel, remove the top and roughly chop them.
Make Tomato Sauce –
9. Heat olive oil to luke warm. To it add garlic and red chilli flakes.
10. Cook for a min. to infuse the flavours well.
11. Add in finely chopped onion and cook till translucent. Cook on a low flame for best taste.
12. Add chopped blanched tomatoes. Next add salt, pepper, mixed herbs and fresh basil.
13. Give everything a good mix.
14. Cover and cook for 15 – 20 mins. on a low medium flame.
15. Next add tomato puree and pasta water.
16. Mix everything well and let it boil.
17. Cover and cook till you get desired consistency.
18. Finally add boiled pasta and toss to cover it well with the sauce.
19. Serve hot with garlic bread and soup of your choice.
How to serve Red Sauce Pasta?
This red sauce pasta is a complete meal in itself and is a comfort food on a winter night.
This spaghetti in tomato sauce also makes for a good meal on a special occasion. Serve it along with a soup of your choice and a garlic bread to make a complete meal.
Finish it with a chocolate cake to make your dining experience at home memorable and special.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube for updates on video recipes.
Red Sauce Pasta
- 300 gms Spaghetti Pasta
- 3 ltrs Water
- 6 - 7 Nos. Tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Herbs
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree (Store bought)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th Cup Roughly Chopped Basil
- Pepper (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- Boil 3 ltrs of water in a saucepan.
- Once it starts to bubble add good amount of salt to it.
- Add spaghetti pasta and cook all-dente (80%).
- Strain excess water and set aside or add to the sauce, if ready.
Blanch Tomatoes –
- Slit tomatoes from the bottom (as shown), add in boiling water.
- Switch of the flame, let the tomatoes rest in boiling water till it starts to peel.
- Take them out, peel, remove the top and roughly chop them.
Make Tomato Sauce –
- Heat olive oil to luke warm. To it add garlic and red chilli flakes.
- Cook for a min. to infuse the flavours well.
- Add in finely chopped onion and cook till translucent. Cook on a low flame for best taste.
- Add chopped blanched tomatoes. Next add salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15 – 20 mins. on a low medium flame.
- Next add fresh basil leaves, mixed herbs, black pepper (optional), tomato puree and pasta water.
- Give everything a good mix.
- Cover and cook till you get desired consistency.
- Finally add boiled pasta and toss to cover it well with the sauce.
- Serve hot with garlic bread and soup of your choice.
- Slow cook the sauce on a low flame to bring out the best of flavours.
- Add pasta to the sauce right before serving.
- Its best to make sauce and pasta side–by-side at the same time, it saves time and tastes best when fresh and hot.
- If you want to serve later, keep ready pasta and sauce and mix both just before serving.
- Keep pasta al-dente, it gives a nice bite to the dish.
- If fresh basil is not available add more quantity of dried basil.